2000 Tundra v8 pinging

Hello,

Can you think of any reason why my truck would ping unless the knock sensor is shot? I took it to the dealer and all they did was tune it up and tell me they couldn't hear the pinging. I've even tried 92 octane but that didn't help.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Ping, actually pre-ignition spark knock, is only caused in a modern (post-1986) engine for two reasons...defective part in the electronic control system or carbon in the combustion chamber. If carbon has built up, it may glow red hot and ignite the fuel mixture before the spark actually fires.

Try one or two treatments with a good fuel system treatment like Chevron Techron Concentrate (not the cheap Pro-Tech), BG 44K, Red Line fuel system cleaner.

Also consider that the noise might be something else that sounds similar. A mechanical banging from part of the exhaust system, for example, might sound similar.

Vehicles don't need "tune ups" any more. They do need regular maintenance including new spark plugs, air & fuel filters, coolant flush & renewal...it's all listed in the owner's manual. Some are time related (coolant) and some are mileage related (plugs & filters).

Ken

R> Hello,

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Thanks Ken for your input. I'll give the Chevron Techron Concentrate a try.

FWIW.. I've only got 50,000 miles on the truck, the plugs have already been changed twice, the filters all get changed on a regular basis and when the dealer did the last "tune up" they added some kind of treatment to the fuel. I've also used Chevron Techron in the past, but not sure if it was the Pro-Tech stuff. I'll look for the good stuff this time.

The pinging noise only happens either when shifting (and my foot is heavy.. ie passing) or when the truck is loaded and I'm heading up a hill.

Thanks a gain for your input. I'll let you know if the fuel treatment does the trick.

Ron

Reply to
Ron