2001 Tacoma Front End Vib

"Help Me Obi Wan" :-) Looking for advice on a particularly ANNOYING issue which neither the dealerships (note the plural) nor my local shop can figure out (they don't seem to feel it!!!!)

My Tacoma is a V6 (3.4L) X-cab "Limited", standard shift, 4WD; it had .7 miles on it when I bought it in 2001 and now has going on 230k (yes, the regular maintenance schedule has been kept). I've had new rear (Biltstein) shocks/struts along with a couple of other brake related issues repaired under warranty (don't ask :-{ - wasn't pretty) at around

40K...I was told the front shocks were fine at the time (go figure). At any rate, over the last 8 months, the vehicle appears to have acquired Parkinsons - the frond end (mostly) has some kind of shaking/vibration in it. In fact, I've had numerous balancings, alignments, checks, etc., etc., etc., and the "shakes" are STILL there (they started at around 100k). I've also had the front end inspected for abnormal wear in the front end suspension components...I had this done when I heard about the ball joint recall (mine was not subject to it, or so I was told, BUT I WONDER...it was made 7/2001...anyway)...

About 3 months ago, I also noticed the front tires were "cupping" (mostly) on the inner edges of both front tires, and based on some research, THOUGHT it might be time to replace the front shocks...did it (went generic :-{ because I couldn't afford the premium for the Biltsteins); both front and back ends were aligned AGAIN at the time...NO JOY...the shakes were STILL THERE :-{ no better, no worse!!!

Since then, the cupping worsened and the tires were getting a bit low on the tread, so I had new rubber put on all around last month. I AGAIN had the front and back ends ALIGNED ($$$$$$$$$$)...STILL NO JOY. I took the truck back to the tire shop, and described my issue. A "technician" took it for a joy ride, came back and told me, "...the drive shaft might be bent and/or u-joints might be going...(he's)had a few Tacomas in getting tires with similar symptoms..." (yeah, RIGHT).

I took the truck to my local shop, and they said no, the drive shaft/joints looked ok. They said they felt a LITTLE shaking during their test drive (on rough AND smooth roads) but didn't think it was an issue and that a rebalance MIGHT/should correct it. So, BEFORE I have the front tires checked/balanced (and/or aligned) AGAIN, does ANYONE ("...anyone, Bhueler...?" :-P ) have any ideas, suggestions, recommendations or advice before I go through another chapter of time, effort and EXPENSE of my "Never Ending Story"?!?!?!? :-O (short of sell it - I REALLY DO like my Tacoma and was HOPING to get high 6 figure miles on it). BTW, the shakes seem to be getting a bit worse at highway speeds (the plastic bags on my passenger seat shake noticeably; the stick also but no worse than when the situation began).

TIA!!!

Paul p.s. It's not the brakes - that's a WHOLE OTHER $$$$$$ nightmare...the vibration is no worse/better when I brake or brake hard (and yes, I know what ABS "pulsing" feels like :-} )thx...PMS (my real initials AND the state this nagging problem is putting me into :-P ).

Reply to
dohhhh

Ball joints, tie rod ends, CV joints

Reply to
Noon-Air

See

Victor D. Ulmer

Victor!! This SEEMS to be the answer I was looking for!!! THANKS!!! :-)

Checked out the shops that have the referenced equipment via the web link provided...found lots of shops w/in a 10 mile radius that have the machine; I'll be checking them out this week. I find it REAL odd/vexing that NONE of the Toyota dealerships (w/in a 50 mile radius!!) were listed as having these machines/adapters...kinda answers why I still have the problem after having taken my truck to SO many Toyota dealership service departments (they all charged an $80 "diagnostic fee"...gggggggrrRRRRRRR) in search of answers :-\

Thanks again!!!! I'll post the results after I have the wheels checked/rebalanced (the RIGHT way :-) ) Hopefully, this will do it!!

Paul

Reply to
dohhhh

The Toyota dealer here has one, and determined that 2 of my tires were bad (48lbs out and 43lbs out) and one was marginal (38lbs out). Sears (where I bought the tires) is giving me a hard time about the warranty on them. They have around 3,000 miles on them since October 25, 2006, and I have made numerous attempts to get the problem(mild vibration @ 70mph) corrected. I will be going back to Sears with the reciepts today.

Is it true that Sears tires are all "seconds"

Reply to
Noon-Air

Ta da...went to a "Tire Warehouse" a few miles away that had the referenced equipment. 1 hour and $60 later (had all 4 tires done), and I'm rolling smoother than __________________ (fill in your own analogy - I'm JUST SO BLASTED glad to have the problem FIXED :-P )!!

Thanks again Victor!!!

Paul p.s. The shop manager even knew what I was talking about :-) So much for the "certified" TECHNICIANS (HA) at the Toyota dealerships :-( ...PMS

Reply to
dohhhh

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:33:36 GMT, dohhhh found these unused words floating about:

Now, take copies of your 'solution' back to the Toybloaters and get a REFUND!

No Refund, complain to whatever city/county agency supervises auto repair shops.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

2 new tires, one tire re-clocked on the rim, and it rides smooth as a baby's butt in all ranges BTW... Bridgestone warranty will replace all four if the problems are found within the first 30 days.... after that will replace 2 with up to 1/32inch wear.
Reply to
Noon-Air