2001 Tacoma Prerunner V6 Starting Problem

Anyone out there experience starting problems with their V6 Tacoma's? I had mine in twice to the dealer while in warranty, but got the typical response from Toyota Customer Service: No problem found/Normal Operation.

Anyway, when I crank the truck it will acts like it is going to start, at the point were you normally release the key, then it dies. The only way to get it started is to "crank through" this behavior and hold down on the starter. The truck has never failed to start, but this is embarrassing and ridiculous for "Normal Operation" in a newer vehicle.

The truck has 41K and has done this since I bought it with 20K. I will not make comment on Toyota customer service, but lets just say I have bought my last Toyota.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks! Michael

Reply to
deadbolt67

Could the the circuit opening relay is not getting pulled in with the starter is turning (the CO relay operates the fuel pump). If this is the problem, then the only way that you get fuel going is to pull enough air by the AFM/MAF to open it up and it's fuel pump contacts close and pull in the CO relay. I have this problem on my '85 4Runner and luckily on the early trucks, there is a jumper to bypass this "feature". I've heard of several Tacoma owners having similar problems and a new CO relay fixed it, check your out to see if it is working properly:

Roger Brown

I've got a 2004 tacoma V6 and have noticed the exact same thing, I turn the key and just when you think it is about to start you release the key.. and it dies. When this doesn't happen I occasionally end up cranking the thing for a few seconds before it starts. This hasn't happened enough for me to be to concerned but I agree it is kind of embarrassing. I only have 5000 km on it (my last toyota as well).

Reply to
Scott D.

Same here with the starting problem but with only 1k on the odometer. I thought it was just me until reading this thread. I'll have it looked at by the dealer if and when I bring it in.

Reply to
Esteban

I have a brand new 2004 Tacoma V6 with about 500 miles. I've noticed hints of what you're talking about also. I've had an '84 truck with a

22R eng>Same here with the starting problem but with only 1k on the odometer. I
Reply to
Mark

By looking at the responses, I see that I am not alone. I have a 97 LX Tacoma with a 4 cylinder. It takes just a small bump of the starter and the engine is off. Evidently, Toyota is missing something on the V6 and has no intentions of correcting the flaw.

Maybe you guys that have vehicles under warranty will get an answer, but I doubt it. My experience with Toyota customer service leads to grade them a "D" at best. I expected more from a Japanese company.

Still looking for solutions if someone has the information.

THANKS!

Reply to
deadbolt67

No, this is typical for these years. Mine has done the same since Day 1, and I have seen other reports of the same problem. Toyota always finds this "normal".

Reply to
houblues