2001 Tacoma Timing Belt

My 2001 Tacoma currently has 88,000 miles on it. What is the current thought regarding when to have the timing belt replaced? What else is it good to do at the same time, while the engine is apart?

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I should have included that it is a double cab with the V-6 engine. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Just call a dealer and ask what the specs are. It probably is the same as my '99 Tacoma which is 90K for the belt. Replacing the water pump is a good idea as there is almost the same labor involved to change it later. If in doubt, change the belts driving the alternator, etc.

Some may tell you that the V6 is a non interference engine, so don't change the timing belt change until it fails. In my case I drive in some remote areas where the tow charge would be as much as the belt replacement.

Reply to
Jarhead

I have a 2000 V-6 Prerunner. I believe the book says 90,000 miles. I had mine done at 60,000 because we live in the desert. I found my water pump seeping at that time. I prbably would change the water pump if I were you. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I did my 99 around 90 K, belt looked good, but I figure it is cheap insurance. Also did water pump, front CS seal and all other belts.

Reply to
Joseph Myers