2002 4Runner Throttle Body

I have a 2002 4 Runner 2WD. The other day I started it up and the thing started and idled fine but when I tried to accelerate I had to mash the gas about half to three quarters before anything would happen. It will drive but it wont shift until about 4000 rpm and then you have to feather the throttle.

The strange part is that it does it every so often. I took it to Toyota and they cant duplicate the issue. No check engine light and nothing on the scanner. I can start it and it will have this problem. I can shut it off restart it in 10 minutes and it runs fine.

Any thoughts on this problem? The toyota dealership suggested a new throttle body assemply to the tune of $1200. Only problem is that they cant tell me that they are 100% certain this is the issue. Looking for some input.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
lfdarson

Buy a can of throttle body cleaner and use it in the throttle body. It does wonders! What happens is that gunk builds up in the TB and the butterfly valve sticks to the TB. Once it unsticks, it's good to go for a while. It is the cheapest fix and probably will fix your problem.

Reply to
Tom in Macon