2003 2004 4Runner Clearance Options?

Hi Folks--

It's been almost a year since J. Tyler launched an interesting thread about the significant ground clearance difference between 2002

4Runners and the redesigned later models.

I've had my 2003 V8 4x4 4Runner Sport Edition for a few months now, and in that time I've had ample opportunity to stretch it to the limit of its 4x4 abilities. I REALLY love our family's new truck, but judging from the rocks smacking my undercarriage on the trails, it's definitely not my old '93 Bronco.

And it's getting on my nerves a little. I keep thinking this excellent truck would be that much better if I could lift it 1-2 inches and increase the tire size.

I can hear two standard responses already, and they may be right:

1) "You fool. If you wanted a rock crawler, you shoulda got a TRD Tacoma, an '02 4Runner, an old Land Cruiser, or a CJ. Get over it."

2) "You fool. If you mess with that X-REAS suspension it'll cost you a fortune, screw up the handling, and reduce your family's safety. Get over it."

Does anyone have a third viewpoint on this topic? Are there any after-market kits yet?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Will Irace

We've had one since June and never take it off road, so I cannot give an opinion there. We bot it as a commuter vehicle (the V-6 mileage isn't that bad), because of the excellent suspension, brakes, and overall ability to get around in winter, and for it's better visibility and higher profile on the maddening rat race highways.

My thoughts of the vehicle before buying it were that Toyota is definitely aiming this toward family hauling (kinda looks like a station wagon) and 'light' off roading (no axle-breaking ravines or boulders). Remember the Pontiac Montana commercials with that rig going down a flat trail?

If I were to seriously do off roading, it would have to be in a modified CJ Jeep or something of that ilk. No way taking this $33,+++ vehicle out there to destroy it. To me it just isn't the right vehicle for that duty in its present form.

My guess is that after-marketers will sort out how to correctly mod this rig for serious off roading..until then..

Best of luck!

Reply to
Bob H

I specifically ordered my Limited V-8 without the XREAS so I can lift it... however, I am also waiting on a truly tested lift kit. A lot of 'beta' ones out there, but nothing solid - and I am looking. I also do not understand how Toyota can market this as an excellent off-roader, showing it off climbing Mt. Everest, and at the same time dropping it 2 inches over 2002. Oh well..

Dan

Reply to
Dan J.S.

My 2 cents is that you may want to consider a trail rig. They are cheap (unless you insist on making it an addiction and spend $$$ upgrading it). An 85, 4Runner or pickup, if you look, can out do damn near anything new you could buy. And if it gets dinged, no big loss. I used to wheel in my 96 Tacoma, and I loved it, but I got real nervous. And Id see these guys go galavanting off wherever with no fear, because a dent to them was no issue like it was with me. If you can convince your wife to let you buy an eyesore, thats the best way to get your kicks. You could easily spend as much trying to lift your current 4Runner.

Reply to
Jason

BTW I like the picture. You are doing it the right way. Alot of morons just go charging as fast as they can into a mudpit, and call it offroading.

But seriously consider my option. Its the best way to preserve your new

4Runner, and have even MORE fun offroading. And if you can afford an 03 4runner, you can afford an 85 to go along side it. (BTW 85 is the best year: 4Runners have removable tops, and 4Runner/Pickups have EFI - so you dont stall out while climbing - and a solid axle - cheap to lift, much more articulation).

Do a bit of research on the 85 Toys.. they really are unstoppable.

Reply to
Jason

Revtek just introduced a 3" lift for the 4thGen:

My thoughts exactly. I posted a few ideas on this on my website a few months ago.

OTOH, that Revtek lift kit is interesting too. Thanks to all for your feedback. Please keep it coming!

Reply to
Will Irace

The Jeeps excel at offroad, but might I recommend you consider a Toyota. I have seen many Jeeps break many important parts often on the trail. Toyotas, th0ough not indestructable (ie birfields suck) break MUCH more rarely. Plus the right Toyota can keep up with any Jeep.

Reply to
Jason