2003 sequoia window tinting

i'd like to tint the front windows of same. i want to match the tinting on the rest of the truck as much as possible. what info do i need to give the tinting shop so that a close if not exact match can be made. specifically, i guess i'm interested in % density, ie, 30% and color. any pointers would be appreciated.

the dealer hasn't been much help :-(

Reply to
xcitor

I can't say I'm surprised. Yours is a very unusual request.

I don't know where you live, but here in California it is illegal to apply tint to any windows from the driver forward, and they do ticket for it.

Frankly, it would never have occurred to me to tint the windshield. It'd be a safety issue for sure - unless you _never_ drive at night.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

. what info do i need to give the

I believe most factory tinting, regardless of make, is in a smoke or charcoal gray, and in order to match, the tint shops stock that same basic color, but in various light percentages. As another poster mentioned, you may be limited by the local laws, especially for the front windows. The common trend of those laws is that you are allowed darker as you go from front to back.

The common percentages are 5%, 20%, and 30%. Thirty is the maximum allowed on front windows in many states, and correspondingly seems to be the common factory darkness, when used. Five percent is basicly the limo shade, although some people still double it up to make absolute black. Twenty is a good compromise for the back seat and rear window, and blends well if you have the other shades on the adjacent windows. If you are unsure what darkness you want, ask the shop manager. All of the employees cars will be tinted, so you will usually have a selection of real-world examples to look at.

For more information, check out the message board at

houblues

| > the dealer hasn't been much help :-( | | I can't say I'm surprised. Yours is a very unusual request. | | I don't know where you live, but here in California it is illegal to apply | tint to any windows from the driver forward, and they do ticket for it.

i'm sorry, but i guess i wasn't clear. i want to tint the front driver's side and passenger's side windows --- not the windshield. i've looked into the laws in my state (MD), and know what my limitations are. i simply want to be sure the tint shop can match the color and density of the rear windows so that my tint job doesn't appear asymmetrical.

Reply to
xcitor

That makes a lot more sense to me. I wish that were legal to do here, but it isn't. :^(

Can't you just leave it in the hands of a window tint shop, telling them what you want? I suspect that would be more fruitful than an online inquiry.

BTW, bear in mind that window tint typically needs to be reapplied every few years. The sun doesn't fade it, but it does attack the adhesive layer and eventually the film starts to get wrinkly and delaminates from the glass. I had it on a previous vehicle and I loved it when it was fesh and new, but it was a PIA to remove and redo.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

With regards to window tinting in California, there is an exception to the rule. If you can get your doctor to write you a prescription for window tint. You would then keep this prescription in the vehicle. There are conditions where window tint is legal on front windows.

Specifally factory tinted glass with greater than 80% transmission.

Also a high dollar alternative is LCD glass panels. These are essentially a dial-a-tint glass. Saw these on a Ducks Unlimited Hunting vehicle at a car show. From about 95% transmission down to about 5% or less. Roll your window down as the officer wals up to the vehicle and presto when you roll it up NO TINT

Reply to
SteelPig