2003 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed Manual Shifting Ease

I have 3,000 miles on a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab, 2.7L w/ a 5-speed manual transmission. Shifting ease is a bit notchy and far from smooth. Can other Taco owners let me know what their shifting experience is, and whether I can expect things to improve. I owned in 82 pickup, and it was buttery-smooth by comparison.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Not sure what lube the Tacoma trannys use, but you might try changing it out:

Roger Brown

My 84 was real smooth My 94 was terrible untill I put Redline MT-90 in it.

Reply to
H Hornblower

fresh newly cut gears in the manual will feel less smooth until all wears in.

new synth oil may help, but i would wait until the gears get worn in...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I have the same truck with over 7000kms, shifting seems fine to me. Ever since I had it, sifting to first is a tougher shift sometimes, thats about it.

Reply to
Brad P

Well, i've got a 99, 2.7litre with a 5 speed and the problem only got worse. Second gear was the worse, especialy when cold.

I addressed the topic on the group about a year ago and was told (also by the dealer and a xmsn shop) that it was not uncommon.

SO, HERE'S HOW i SOLVED IT...

I drained about a cup of xmsn fluid and replaced it with Lucas Oil. It's an oil additive to be found in many autoparts shops.

Fixed the problem...shifts as smooth as a Toyota should.

Take care.

Walt Birmingham, Alabama

99 Tacoma XCab TRD 4WD 02 Tacoma DBl Cab Prerunner
Reply to
WaltMattil

Do they use transmission fluid in new manuals? The problem in my '94 was solved by replacing the transmission oil with Red Line MT-90, a synthetic transmission oil.

Reply to
H Hornblower

yep...well, they have to have a drain plug for the fluid...

mine in on the driver side, up under the door, on the xmsn....1/2 inch nut if I recall...maybe 5/8

Reply to
WaltMattil

Change out. Use "Mobil One" synthetic. Good Luck !

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:29:34 -0400, "Dave" wrote: hi am definately wondering about the same problem or even if it is one . The cluch pedal is a little highy adjusted it seems , periodic grinding between 3/4 gears mite just be me though, sometimes it is hard to find the gear to shift into...many years driving standards oh well.

Reply to
entoman43