2003 Tundra Flat Tire...Jack Will Not Completely Lift Front Passenger Wheel Off Ground

Help! I have a 2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab V8. I had a flat tire (passenger front) in my driveway and used my jack for the first time. The jack (at its fullest extension) would not lift the front tire completely off the ground. I triple checked my owner's manual to ensure I was jacking at the right point on the truck frame. I ended up having to buy a Sears 3 ton service jack which did the trick.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, did Toyota respond? Any secrets that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance, Chuck

Reply to
<c>

The jack on my '01 Tundra raises the front tire 2½" above the garage floor. If you have oversized tires, lifted truck, uneven surface, or soft surface, you'll need a stout board under the jack.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I didn't have any problems with lifting the right front of my 2000 Tundra SR5 Access Cab V8 4WD. However, the only reason I used the jack that came with the Tundra was because my cousin had borrowed the

3 ton jack floor jack I bought from Sears about 20 years. I always take it with me when I drive out of town and have done so with all of my other pickups. It's one thing to struggle in your driveway, It's another to do it in less than optimum conditions on the road or off it.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Maybe your drive way is at a weird angle?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have a superstitious friend who carries a floor jack like that as flat tire insurance, you figure if you are prepared for the worst, it never happens, so he carries the jack with him all the time and so far has not had many / any flats.

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

Ah, the old anti-jinx thinking.

Floor jacks work under about any conditions. Jacks that come with new cars don't. If you want to depend on the car's jack, better carry the entire kit with you - 2' X 2' piece of 1/2" wood to distribure out the weight of the car on the jack so it doesn't sink into a soft surface, shovel, etc. I've used floor jacks in mud, snow and it always worked fine.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I just had my first flat tire on my 2003 Tundra. I used the jack that came with the truck on my level garage floor and it was a good two inches short of lifting the tire off the ground. This could have been a nightmare on the highway. Anyone else have the same problem?

Reply to
Ghostrider

Educated guess: See if the top section of the jack turns and has a threaded extension shaft hidden inside. With the jack cranked all the way down, you raise the little manual extension up to where it just fits under the jacking point. Then you slide it into place and crank it up.

Toss a few 12" to 18" chunks of 2X6 or 2X8 wood in the back, so you have some cribbing to get another few inches. And to spread the weight keeping the jack from sinking in sand or mud, if you can't move the truck to change the tire and have to 'play it where it lies'.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman