2005 4Runner recharge AC - How to

Can anyone give me a pointer to a website on how to recharge the AC on my

2000 V6 4Runner? I'm assuming I need a R134a recharge kit with a gage and I'm assuming the connection are standard with the kit.

Thanks -

Reply to
Harlen Ng

BIG mistake to assume anything this may become a very expensive project

Reply to
LoLo

Where did the old stuff go? Ya need to find the source of the leak first --- expansion valve? hose? seal? condenser? If you vented into atmosphere there is a stiff fine! There is recharge kit with leak detector but if you have a bad leak you may need to pull a vacuum on it and even replace the receiver/dryer. The stuff will blind you or freese off skin if handled improperly.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I have a 95' Tacoma 4x4. MY A/C hasn't worked in a couple years. I finally decided to take a look at it recently. I bought a recharge kit with the valve meter. Charged it, but nothing happened. So when I was having my truck smogged I asked if they could take a look at it. They said I needed a new coil and would cost around $500. Anyone have a thought on this.. As to price or if it might be something else.

Reply to
shockwa

Which coil - the condenser core in front of the radiator, or the evaporator core buried under the dashboard? How did they determine this?

If they pressurized the system and the leak detector started beeping at the middle of the condenser core, and they can see the hole (put a bit of soap on and look at the pretty bubbles), they're right and it's time for a new core. Aluminum core tubes can't be patched worth a darn. $500 sounds a bit high, but they might just be giving you the 'worst case' price.

For the evaporator core, you can sniff the leak at the output ducts, but you have to take the whole heater box apart to see it. And that's a pretty big job just getting in there. And for that job, $500 might even be a bit low.

Either way, make sure they change the refrigerant filter/drier/ receiver with the job, it's not optional.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

any Quick lube can do the job PROPERLY

you can't just throw cans in it Pay the $20-$30 to get it done right Evacuated, recharged to the EXACT amount required and checked for leaks

Reply to
I'm Right

There is no cut and dried answer here in that it depends on the current state of the system and you really need a set of gauges for starters regardless to do it correctly (not just a low side gauge with green line) and you may even nned to vacum system and start over. If you are serious about learning how, the first step is a good set of gauges on a manifold with hoses designed for servicing R134 A/C systems.

Reply to
SnoMan

Only if your stupid enough to discharge it all at once on your hands or in your face. You should always wear googles and gloves (they can be thin but should not be very porus) when doing this though.

Reply to
SnoMan

When a A/C quits working it is usually from freon loss and if you have a leak and do not fix it, it will not work (all car A/C?s leak some though some may take many years to leak out) Also when it leaks out through a bad leak, you cannot just recharge it even if leak is fixed, you can to vacum done the system and redeiver dryer should be changed to if it has been open to air for a while. You might replace the condensor or evaporator "coil" yourself (which ever is bad) and them have your system properly serviced and that will save you some coin.

Reply to
SnoMan