2005 tacoma

When will they show up on the showroom floor?

Thanks Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I've heard September.

Reply to
Steve

Same here, but why is information so scarce at this stage? The only clear photo I've seen of the 2005 Tacoma appears to be this:

I hope these trucks aren't expensive gas hogs like so much else out there. They're going to be about 4" wider with a longer wheelbase and off-road prowess may be compromised. Bigger is certainly not better on a trail. I think the only reason the new 4Runner with the 4L V6 is relatively efficient is that it rides lower than ever. They say a

4-cylinder will be offered but it will be pulling more weight. Will we see the last of the 2.7L 4 cylinder in the 4x4s? Another victim of too much bloat.

Generally speaking (are you listening Toyota execs?), why must everything get bigger and more powerful to cater to the most superficial American buyers? Don't they see what's happening to oil supplies? There is a good market for compact trucks and Toyota shouldn't bail on it.

I may buy my first Nissan ever if these trucks are too big. But maybe they'll pull a miracle and give us more power without less efficiency. A bigger Tacoma will still be harder to park either way. No more squeezing though traffic gauntlets that 4" less width made possible.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

That's not a bad looking truck, at least they didn't screw up the fenders like the 4 Runner with that Chevy Avalanche look( the horizonial straight line directly above the tire). Looks like shit!

I too hope it stays small and not a midsize gas guzzler.

The Nissan looks like a 3rd world produced vehicle, just a buch of mismatched pieces with no flow. The grille blows.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

That's the best picture I've seen of the '05 Tacoma to date. Seems like all of the trucks are beginning to look alike.

I hear you about bigger is not always better. Too bad that the newer Tacomas are getting bigger but not necessarily better. Here is my list of things that Toyota SHOULD do to the new Tacomas.

Provide doors to the Xtracab Improve styling of front end Improve fuel efficiency Improve air conditioner Improve interior quality. Looks and feels much to cheap as it is now. Improve overall quality. Yes, even Toyota can improve on this. Provide factory installed bed caps Provide a factory installed sunroof Provide a cargo light

Did I miss anything?

Reply to
Steve

I'm OK with the interior since it seems to hold together and remain rattle-resistant, even if it might look cheap to some. We can't expect burlwood in a truck!

I've had no problems with the A/C except when normal aging causes leaks. The current grille has a weird yawning, overdone look and I never did like it. I think Tacomas looked their best around 1997, or whenever it was they started using aero headlights with the original grille. I'm no fan of the current black fender guards, though. They make the styling look too busy, and what use are they, really? Do they think people are always driving through narrow slot canyons and scraping the fenders?

As for efficiency, short of making a hybrid like the upcoming Highlander, I don't know what they can do except make the truck lighter somehow. Putting hybrid drive batteries in a pickup truck seems problematic somehow. Not sure where they'd stow them.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Are you talking about the Frontier or the Titan? The latter looks good in advertisements but clunky and Frankensteinian on the road. Some Nissans look like they were designed by a committee that reached a stalemate.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Both of the them altho the Titian is'nt as bad.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I hate to see them get bigger too. I went shopping for an '04 to get one before the change and was not real impressed so I looked at the Nissan . The Nissan is getting bigger next year as well. I was impressed with the Nissan, though they are funny looking. So if you want a small truck better get it this year.

Reply to
H Hornblower

That pic is a photochop from the x-runner.

Reply to
Lou Szurre

It looks nice but its a photochop.

Reply to
Lou Szurre

It does seem fake on close inspection but it's an OK job. There is no EXIF or IPTC info and the caption is fuzzy. I see the headers "Ducky" and "Adobe" when the file is opened in Notepad. When brightened, the tread looks manipulated and I see blending at the fender line. But it does look like what I would expect; a 4Runnerish pickup. I don't know why pictures are so scarce if this is really to be sold in September.

Below could be the real deal, but who are these people and where do they drive these covert trucks?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

What exactly was unimpressive about the Tacoma that impressed you with the Nissan?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Now, that looked like a genuine Taco. I agree about them not providing us with a production photo of the 4x4. I don't know why they're so hush hush about it, it's just a truck! Could you imagine if it's a super expensive exotic vehicle...?

Reply to
Lou Szurre

I thought it handled well with better road feel. I think I have good road feel in my current '93 Toyota but the '04 felt like there was a buffer between the wheel and the road. The interior was way better. The seat was great, with an adjustable lumbar which is only available with the Tacoma limited package which is hard to come by and unavailable in four cylinder. The upolstery seemed more durable and looked better. My favorite exterior color in the Tacoma is the gold metallic which only comes with a very flimsy looking beige print, kind of looks like kid's pajama material. The price looked a whole lot better. Still if I can find a four cylinder, five speed, xtracab to replace the one I've got I'll probably buy it. They are very rare though. If not I'll look at the Nissan again or wait and hope that in a couple of years somebody makes a hybrid truck.

Reply to
H Hornblower

I have to admit I've never test driven a Nissan in my life. I always liked the Toyota styling better and it's done the job for me so far. My impression has also been that Toyotas have a reliability edge and better stock off road performance, but it's hard to know fact from hearsay at this point. I know Nissan makes some very good car engines.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

The best theory I have is that they want to sell the remaining '04s as quickly as possible. Leaving the '05s as an unknown may reduce the number of holdout buyers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Anyone know if the 05 Tacoma will have higher tow rating?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Klingler

With the 4.0 engine it most surely will. Everything about trucks these days seems to be a progression of more power and sliding efficiency. I'm hoping they can pull a "trick" like they did with the revamped

4Runner and not have much change in MPG. I think they did it in part by lowering the body and making it more van-like.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I'm not disagreeing, but you don't believe the new V6 has anything to do with sustaining the same mileage as the previous 6?

*I hav a physician's note too uperate my Webtv
Reply to
Lou Szurre