2005 Tacoma 4 cyl. high idle question

My 2005 Tacoma (4cyl.)idles at 2200 rpm on 1st start (when cold). This seems way too high to me--anybody else have this? thanx in advance!

Mike

Reply to
Strmn567

Let me describe it to you: (depending on how cool your region is as well as the season) you start it and it idles high for 2-5 mins, then idles down to a 'normal' level unless you've got the defrost on - which will cause the engine to periodically 'surge/rev' systematically.

Sound familiar? Yours sounds normal unless I've missed something.

Stew '00 Tacoma PreRunner / 2.7 4cyl

Reply to
S.Lewis

Stew-thanx for reply! Yeah it idle's back down as it should-It just seems like the high idle setting at startup is excessive -of course I'm used to my old also--Ha! Thanx!

Mike

Reply to
Strmn567

I think it's normal, mine does it too. I seem to remember reading something about a fresh air pump that runs for 90 seconds after a cold start.

I'm guessing it's something to do with emissions requirements and the rich fuel mixture needed for a cold engine start. Paulie

Reply to
Paulie(not working!!!!)

My '05 4.0L Tacoma and my 4 cylinder '01 Subaru Outback do exactly the same thing. My neighbor's Hemi Ram sounds as if it also starts like this.

I'll let it run for 10-15 seconds, tap the gas pedal, which drops the RPM's, depress the clutch, and slide it into gear.

If you didn't touch a thing, both will automatically drop the RPM's as the engine starts to warm up.

Does the manual mention high or cold idle?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanx for the replys everybody! Barry, the manual doesn't say anything about the high idle (that I can find anyway). It is probably normal--it just bothers me that the engine would rev that high when it's cold and no oil pressure. It comes back down to normal shortly. Hope this one is a good as my last one (87 22r--271,000 miles and still running). Thanx again guys

Mike

Reply to
Strmn567

I don't drive my Taco to work, so I couldn't check myself.

I had an '85 do 300k. I've got the same hope!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to