2005 Tacoma cold engine idle speed?

Don't have a shop manual yet, but my new 2005 Tacoma with 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission seems to have a terribly high idle speed at first start on a cold morning. About 2200 rpm for one or two seconds, then 2000 rpm for one or two more minutes. Kind of scary, I think. Now, by cold, I don't mean cold, cold, but say maybe 45 to 55 F. I know from lots of past experience that cold start ldle on most gas engines can and should be higher than hot idle, but I would think 1000 rpm for a minute or so would be plenty high. What do you guys think? Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Coffelt

It's normal, I think there's something about it in the owners manual

Paulie

Reply to
Paulie

It may be by design but there's nothing "Normal" about the looks I get from others in the parking lot when Fire up my 2005. " No, really, I don't have the pedal floored !' I Hate it! but darn little else about this 2.7.

Kevin T

Reply to
kgt

LOTS of 2005 cars do this, as does my neighbor's 2004 Ram. Just wait until the people with the looks get their next new car.

Reply to
B a r r y

The 2002 Tacoma does it, too. Based on other complaints I've seen here, the

03 & 04s are the same way. And, the automatic tranny doesn't get un-arthritic for about 2 miles when it's really cold out. Won't shift up from 2nd or 3rd. Drive gently.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

| > LOTS of 2005 cars do this, as does my neighbor's 2004 Ram. Just wait | > until the people with the looks get their next new car. | | The 2002 Tacoma does it, too. Based on other complaints I've seen here, the | 03 & 04s are the same way. And, the automatic tranny doesn't get | un-arthritic for about 2 miles when it's really cold out. Won't shift up | from 2nd or 3rd. Drive gently. | |

'99 V-6 does it too. I shift the auto tranny into gear right after starting the engine. It lowers the rpm some. Glad somebody else noticed the slow to shift tranny.

Reply to
Jarhead

It sounds about right to me.

Reply to