2005 Tacoma - Ladder / Kayak / Canoe rack?

Anyone have any luck yet?

Trac-Rack says nothing planned, ever.

Yakima says "someday", but they do acknowledge a difference and are working the problem.

Thule has no idea why the 2004 rack won't fit the 2005, Weather Guard's in the same fog.

A local truck body guy says he can custom build me something from my choice of metals, or fabricate a way to mount a Trac-Rac rail.

I don't have the truck yet, it's ordered. Looking at the dealer's other examples, it looks like the covers on the bed rails are easily removable and not structural. Has anyone popped one off? What's underneath?

This bed still has plenty of metal in it, some of which is painted black to look like the plastic parts.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Depending on the length of the bed of your truck you may want to consider the bed rails for the 05 Tacoma. They are fully compatible with all the Yakima add on parts. I'm sure you could mount your Kayak in the bed as you would on the roof.

Reply to
anonymous

If I had something to attach bed rails *to*, I'd get a Trac-Rac. That's the rub with the '05! I've got the 6' bed on the way.

Do you have an '05? If so, have you popped off the plastic bed rails to see if there are hard points underneath? That's what I really need to know.

I actually work at a Yakima dealing bike shop. The goal is to carry ladders, 12-14' wood moldings and hardwood planks, along with kayaks, on something that is easy to load, durable, and occasionally removable. I'd also prefer to carry the load level, as longer ladders and flexy moldings are easier to carry this way.

I've looked at "headache racks" for behind the cab, paired with Thule's "Goalpost" and clones, but that ties up the hitch. I need the hitch to tow an enclosed trailer.

I really wish Toyota had gone with stake pockets in the bed design. Pockets would have made so many aftermarket accessories drop right on.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I just installed Thule kayak "J" racks, for two kayaks, on my '05 Tacoma double cab with the Toyota roof rack. If you would like a picture of the mount and details send me an e-mail.

Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Reply to
Amish Biker

That's on the roof, no?

I'm looking for a bed mounted solution that brings everything up to roof height. The Kayak is the *short* thing that needs to be carried.

Vehicles with factory roof rails are usually easy to fit. My previous vehicle is an Outback, which was pretty good at carrying things on top. Before that, I had a truck with a cap, with Yakima parts bolted to the cap.

If you've done something that attaches to the bed, I'd LOVE to see it, my return address is valid.

I have a funny feeling I'm going to have to build some cheesy wood thing to fit IN the bed until the aftermarket catches up.

Thanks for the reply! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Check out what's available in contractor "ladder racks" - I've seen fancy ones that bolt aluminum rails to the sides of the bed with a fixed front rack arm. The aluminum extrusion 'back' H-shaped "goalpost" slides forward for clearance to carry big and tall stuff in the bed like refrigerators, and slides to the back for racking up long stuff like kayaks.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That's exactly what I want! 8^)

Nobody makes one for the composite bed, with many suppliers stating that they WILL NOT. 8^(

I really like the Trac-Rac stuff, but they say they aren't even PLANNING to support this truck! A local truck body / contractor rig guy says he might be willing to fabricate something to attach the rails to, replacing the stock plastic top rails, but we haven't gotten to see what's underneath them yet.

I'm trying to find someone who has popped the stock rail covers off, or actually mounted something like this. My truck is ordered, and I'm trying to find some answers so that I don't lose even more time once it arrives.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

"B a r r y" wrote: > Bruce L. Bergman wrote: > > > > > Check out what's available in contractor "ladder racks" - > I've seen > > fancy ones that bolt aluminum rails to the sides of the bed > with a > > fixed front rack arm. The aluminum extrusion 'back' > H-shaped > > "goalpost" slides forward for clearance to carry big and > tall stuff in > > the bed like refrigerators, and slides to the back for > racking up long > > stuff like kayaks. > > That's exactly what I want! 8^) > > Nobody makes one for the composite bed, with many suppliers > stating that > they WILL NOT. 8^( > > I really like the Trac-Rac stuff, but they say they aren't > even PLANNING > to support this truck! A local truck body / contractor rig > guy says he > might be willing to fabricate something to attach the rails > to, > replacing the stock plastic top rails, but we haven't gotten > to see > what's underneath them yet. > > I'm trying to find someone who has popped the stock rail > covers off, or > actually mounted something like this. My truck is ordered, > and I'm > trying to find some answers so that I don't lose even more > time once it > arrives. > > Thanks! > Barry

Barry, I am having the same problem finding a rack for my 05 Tacoma. What I want is the Backrack brand headache rack but they don?t make one for the 05 either. I?ve looked around in forums and heard rumours that the composite bed will actually crack if a rack were to be mounted to it. I?m hoping this isn?t true. It?s getting dark, but tomorrow I can try and pop of the plastic to see what?s underneath. I could take a photo for you, not sure if I can post it here or not. Would love to solve this problem as I have to borrow a truck to carry anything over 8 feet at the moment.

Reply to
leroybrown

Thanks, but you don't have to bother.

I got my truck and found out the following by looking up underneath, with the storage box removed:

  • The metal sides wrap up and over to meet the plastic inner.
  • The bed rail protectors are simply snapped on.
  • There are metal supports at the front corner of the bed and the taillight box is all metal.
  • The tee tracks attach to metal, and are extremely stiff and substantial.

A local truck body guy has come up with 3 ways to mount a Trac Rac.

1.) Blind connectors drilled though the plastic rail protectors into the metal. 2.) Brackets that run behind the side tee track and up to the rack rails. These attach to the rails by drilling and tapping the rack rails. 3.) Welding clamps to the rack rail that then attach into the tee tracks. This is how Toyota attaches caps (topper, shell, etc...)

This guy builds and attaches truck bodies an anything from Tacomas to tractor trailers all day long, and he sees nothing to worry about with the plastic inner bed. Check out the per-connector ratings on the side tie downs.

I think the key here is where you ask. The regular sport rack and bolt-on ladder rack guys are clueless. The guys who do actual fabrication don't seem to see a problem.

Apparently, the Chevy Colorado / Canyon DID have problems, but according to my guy, the beds are very different. One company hires engineers, the other, marketeers! That's a shocking statement when it comes from a Harley riding heavy truck body fabricator.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge