2005 Tacoma on Toyota website

Toyota has updated the Tacoma site for the 2005 models.

cheg

It's about time...

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

Reply to
EARTHLINK

Reply to
EARTHLINK

General rule in buying a new car (truck) is: Never buy a brand new first year model. They have not had the time to shake the bugs out and you don't want to do that for them.

Having said that, I'd buy an 05 taco if they had a diesel or hybrid drive train. They are just not serious about truck mileage (yet). I would rather pay a premium to an automaker, rather than to an oil company. It's my guess that the people who are buying these V6'd and V8's have pretty deep pockets. Either that or they are seriously wasteful.

Guess I'll take a long look at other makes and models -- maybe wait a year or two.

Reply to
type name here

That is an amazing engine. I looked at the Colorado a few months ago. The one thing that bothered me was the way the sheetmetal was folded in the front of the bed. Looked like it was put together by children. I thought it would no doubt have problems with corrosion in the future.....

I've got 100K on my current truck so I'll keep looking for a good value w/ good mpg just in case she blows. It's a damn shame Ford and Toyota are putting hybrids in SUV's and just blowing off the truck market.....

Reply to
type name here

SNIP

There's no guarantee that it won't blow up tomorrow, of course, but the3.5 liter inline 5 that Chevy is putting in the new Colorado generates 220 HP and still gets better gas mileage than Toyota's 2.7 4 cylinder that only makes 150 HP. It's an amazing engine.

I know it's not a diesel or hybrid, but it does seem to be an advancement in efficiency.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

I think hibrids won't be really good for another 5 or 10 years.

Reply to
Jeff Budz

I'll semi-refute that. I bought a 1st-gen 1st-model-year tacoma ('95.5 I believe) with the new (at the time) 3400 v6. I also bought the factory extended warranty, maxed-out as my driving rate on my previous truck was close to ~20k/year and the factory 3/36k would be dead in half that time keeping up that rate. As fate would have it, a few issues did crop up (the leaky v6 head gasket & a pinched crank seal found ~40k when I switched to Mobil-1) but were quickly recitifed and at no cost to me. the head gasket was also well-known so it would have been no-cost with or without extended coverage. every other aspect of that truck was sound.

the risk of the first-model-year bugs is still there but improvements in design and testing processes weed out a lot more glitches than previous generations. I don't think your risk is that much higher in year 1 than year

  1. EVERY year of a vehicle sees design improvements over the previous models.

-r

Reply to
No Body

I would agree with that - improvements in testing, etc and it's a different time

with first year models now. This new Tacoma V6 motor was already in the 4 runner previously and the motor is proven solid.

I'm curious though, how the new v6 would run on regular 87 fuel instead of the "recommended" premium fuel?

I'm seeing them come to the lots now. I'll probably hold up until the hype has died down and the dealers stop putting a "market adjustment" cost on top of the msrp and start going more towards invoice (and they make a profit even selling from invoice).

No Body wrote:

One issue might be that it's hard to stow a hybrid's battery pack under a pickup bed. Assuming it needs vertical access they might have to put a trap door in the bed steel, compromising strength.

JT

Reply to
J. Tyler

Check Edmunds... GM has both a Chevy and GMC 1500 model hybrid for '05. Rumor is Toyota will have the technology in the Tundra for '06 or '07. Long term rumor is that Toyota expects to have the entire fleet converted by 2012.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

company. It's

advancement

What are you talking about??? First of all, don't confuse readers with false information. The Toyota 2005 Tacoma 4cyl delivers 164HP w/

183lb-ft of torque, while the Tacoma 4.0L V6 has 245HP & 282lb-ft of torque. So... the little Chevy engine ends up being underpowered in comparison. Also, Chevy hasn't released EPA ratings. All they have is "GM testing" estimates. Their rating is 18/23 for a 4x2 4-spd automatic, while the Tacoma w/ a 4.0L V6 (more powerful and more torque than the Chevy) has en "EPA rating" of 18/22 (with a 5-spd automatic). Please make sure your sources are correct before documenting them here.
Reply to
ggal

Hmmm.... at the time I posted this the only trucks on the dealer's lots had the 150 HP 2.7. You are correct that the new '05 engine does indeed generate 14 more horsepower thanks to VVTi. That wasn't immediately obvious to me because all of the information I had seen said the 05's still had a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. I did not know that the 05 engine would have variable timing and the subsequent 14 HP increase.

Real world data: My '04 Colorado 4 X 4 with the 3.5 L 5 cylinder gets 20/24 MPG.

The Tacoma V6 has an EPA estimate of 18/22? That seems high considering the MPG performance of the 04 models with automatic transmissions. What's the mileage estimate for the 2.7?

Reply to
Sean Elkins