2005 Tacoma Pricing

I'm getting bids of over $1000 over invioce, not to mention the dealer holdback of about 2% base msrp.

Toyota is not offering rebates on it so they must be selling fast.

Any tips on getting a better price?

I'm in the Houston Area.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Call a buying service; Costco, credit union, AAA. Have the exact model and options ready.

Reply to
SBC Usenet

Why encourage them? Wait a year or two and you'll get an refined truck with less problems at a better price.

Reply to
Andrew

Do tell.

As an actual '05 Taco owner, what problems am I not noticing.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry,

Would you care to share how much over invoice you paid for your vehicle? If you get a good deal I'd like to know what tactics were used to get it.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

TRD Off-road, V6 4x4 Access Cab w/ Tow, CD changer & conv. pkg MSRP incl. destination: $27,615

Selling price: $25,500 Dealer conveyance fee: $ 200 Taxable amount: $25,700

  • actual state registration fees.

No trade, no extended warranties, no dealer financing, no funky coatings, gap insurance or VIN etching, simply cash on the barrel. Published invoice numbers put this about $800 over.

I simply kept walking out of the dealerships until someone got to that price, which I felt was fair to both of us. It took about 6 weeks to get the truck.

I haven't heard of anyone here in the Northeast doing a lot better than this. Better deals might be available later in the year. I usually drive vehicles cradle to grave, so the exact equipment and color were more important to me than saving the last nickel. Our original plan was to get a leftover 2004 or lightly used 2003, but I felt the '05's are so far and away a nicer vehicle, I pulled the trigger.

On several occasions, I've been able to buy vehicles right at invoice price, but didn't see this as possible on this truck, at this time.

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm told that early '05 had problems with windshield seals so far (I think). Previous new model rollouts had problems with heads and some other things that escape me now. So.....that makes you a guinea pig in this little experiment.

I see you only paid $800 over invoice. Not too bad in the scheme of things. But you probably could have gotten the same truck for $100 to $250 over invoice in 4 or 5 months. All I ever want to do is "rent" the salesmen for a little while during the transaction. If you want to fully fund their 401K - hey - that's your business....

Reply to
Andrew

Very few early production trucks had this, but not mine. For those that had it, it's about an 1.5 hour fix. The TSB lays out a simple procedure for checking for the problem and repairing it. It's not the windshield seal, but a missing bead of body caulk inside the front cowl. The repair involves removing the wipers and cowl cover, caulking the seam, and reassembling the three removed parts.

The leak can be tested for with a garden hose and glass cleaner.

Did you happen to notice that I mentioned that?

The 2001 Subaru Outback I sold outright would have depreciated another $3-500, and I wouldn't have had the use of the truck for another 4-5 months. I'm in the middle of several large home improvement projects that would have required me to either rent a truck or pay for the delivery of materials.

Have you ever tried to fit 600 sq/ft of hardwood flooring, or six solid oak interior doors in an Outback? The flooring required two trips with the truck. Delivery of just those two examples would have run me over $150. All of the demo materials are getting tossed in a 5x10' trailer that gets dragged to the dump when it fills up. The trips were a lot more frequent with the Subie, as the empty trailer alone was over half of the car's towing capacity. Now lets talk about the Pavelocks the wife is looking at for the front walk...

Usage has value, owning the truck now actually puts me ahead of the game.

You payz your money...

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm from the Beaumont, TX area and kinda of a spare of the moment deal and decided i wanted a speedway blue xrunner which was very hard to find where i live and talked the guys down to $23,800 drive out, and i even checked on a 4x4 access cab TRD sport package and got them down to $86 over invoice. Just tell them you'll give them x amount of dollars and do the hang up thing, it worked for me.

Reply to
blue05xrunner

Also i always say im buying today too, i noticed that helps alot, just be prepared for a flood of phone calls and emails coming your way, just find three similiar trucks and let the dealers fight over whos got the best price until they start backing off when its gets really low.

Reply to
blue05xrunner

Location, location, location! That sounds like a good deal.

If I plug different zipcodes into Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) calculator:

The TRD 4x4 Sport AC is $26,500 in So. Cal, $25,700 in Beaumont, TX, and $26,300 in mine.

The Xrunner TMV's at $23,121 in So. Cal, $22,600 in Beaumont, and $22,842 here.

TMV includes mfg-to-dealer incentives (n/a on Tacomas), destination, prep, and ad fees, but not tax & reg.

How's the Xrunner treating you? Nice truck, especially in that color! We don't see many of those here in the Northeast, as 4x4 is nice in the snow.

Reply to
B a r r y

Yup.

Ah, I am obviously outclassed. I bow to your logic sir. :)

Reply to
Andrew

thanks,

I usually stick to my guns and top out at 500 over invoice. I'm getting a lot of no bids at this price.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

I dont mind riding to Beumont for a deal like this. :)

Which dealorship did you go with?

"blue05xrunner" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
Mook Johnson