2005 Tacoma Wind Noise - solution

I posted here a few months ago that I was getting LOUD wind noise with a 95 mph or greater air speed (road speed into a strong head wind.)

Well - it took a while, but it has been isolated and fixed.

The cause is not-quite-complete sealing of the rubber molding around the windshield. The windshield was sealed in well and good, but the entire molding was not glued down. In particular, the last 1/8 inch or so that overlaps the windshield was not glued down. High actual air speeds would lift it enough to cause a whistling noise.

The first time I took it into the dealer, they resealed the side pillers. That helped a lot. but wasn't a complete cure - as we found out on a trip from Oklahoma City to Dallas into a strong south wind. We stopped at a Love's truck stop, borrowed some duct tape, and stuck a strip completely across the top of the windshield. That stopped the noise completely. (I know - duct tape! Well, I am living in Oklahoma.)

So we took it back to the dealer. They resealed the molding along the top of the windshield and the noise has disappeared.

Just thought you might like to know.

If you are having the same noise and want to confirm the source of the problem - wait until you have some strong winds that you can drive into and then seal between the windshield and the molding with duct tape.

Tony S.

Reply to
Tony