2005 Tundra "Service Required" light

Holiday greetings to the group. My 2005 Tundra just hit 5000 miles and the service light came on. I do not like having the dealer even touch my truck and have completed all usual maintenance, ect.

The questions is, how do I turn the light off, without going to the dealer and getting bent over for some imaginary repair? If I must, I will put a spiffy little decal over the obnoxious little monster if needed.

Reply to
Nicolai

Try reading your owner's manual.

Reply to
JC Der Koenig

If this is a service reminder light tripped by mileage, the Owners Manual will tell how to reset it - they expect some owners to do their own preventative maintenance. (You usually do something simple like hold down the trip odometer reset button with one hand and cycle the ignition key a few times with the other, but look it up.)

If it's the Check Engine light on steady, the computer is trying to tell you there's a problem. If the light is blinking it's telling you about a serious problem, Stop The Car and check it out - if all fluid levels are normal and nothing is smoking, get to a mechanic NOW and have it checked.

If there is a serious problem like a bad cylinder misfire, you can overheat the catalytic converter to where it melts the insides. This is bad.

Buy or borrow an OBD-II code reader to pull the stored codes, and the book that comes with it will tell you what vehicle system the computer is complaining about. (Not the exact problem, just tells you the system and sometimes a certain sensor that is out of normal range.)

It could be as stupid simple as a loose gas cap - If the computer sees a loss of pressure in the evaporative emissions system on two consecutive drive cycles, it trips the light.

If you aren't sure what is wrong, and can not diagnose it further yourself, stop and post a question here. DO NOT start throwing spare parts at the car blindly, that can get very expensive very fast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Read the little book in the glove box. It's in there!

Reply to
B a r r y

I feel SOOOOO stoopid! RTFM indeed. Thank you for the great information.

Reply to
Nicolai

It tells you in most of the manuals that come with the vehicle how to turn them off.

Reply to
RefineryDog