2005 Tundra - two radio questions

A friend just got her 2005 Tundra yesterday. The way she's cranking the radio makes it clear she's going to fry the speakers pretty quickly, so she wants to beef up the system. We're marinating some ideas.

1) Maybe add an amplifier first. Does the basic radio have preamp outputs?

2) How is the radio removed? Admittedly, I'm being lazy at this point - I haven't spent any time fondling the dashboard yet to look for access. Advice appreciated.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

no preamp outputs

she has the bass cranked and the volume up so the amplifier in the head unit is clipping and sending square waved signals to the speakers

Add a selfpowered sub like a bazooka tube and let IT provide the bass. and set the bass control back to =neutral

Reply to
I'm Right

A subwoofer ain't gonna happen. Do you know how the radio is removed?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Pull the knobs off of the HVAC controls. Careful, sometimes the steel spring likes to pop out of the knobs... don't lose it! There is one screw under each knob. Push the AC vents so they blow "up". There are two more screws in the top of the ducts... don't drop the screws down the vents :)

Push the vents so they blow "down", grasp the panel firmly by the vertical strips between the vents and the radio.

Pull.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Thanks, Rich. You saved me years of research. That leaves more time for fishing. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Eddie

Because the goal here is high quality audio, not puke.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

a bazooka tube would add the last ovtave of bass that the stock system is missing, with a 6" woofer and about 50 watts of power its not going to hip hop the neighbors 18 yr old kid one iota. but it will make music people actually can listen to sound rich and full its all how you adjust it

Reply to
I'm Right

Probably, but I think we need to address the problem with the door speakers first. I mean, if you have a transistor radio at home and you want better sound, you don't run out & buy a subwoofer first. You get a real stereo with decent speakers, and THEN add a subwoofer if necessary. I used to run 6.5" round Philips speakers one of my cars, with a 50w per channel Fosgate amp, and they sounded so good that they didn't even need a subwoofer (which would've been stolen anyway).

Reply to
Doug Kanter