2006 Tacoma engine size

Bear with me, I'm going to be asking perhaps 2 or so more questions in later posts but in the mean time I'll try to read ahead before I ask them.

I'm considering a 2006 Tacoma either regular or access cab. Assuming it will be an access cab and flat terrain, the max weights I'd expect would be

(1) passengers = 500 pounds and bed = 1000 pounds simultaneously and nothing in tow

--or almost never--

(2) passengers = 500 pounds, bed = zero pounds and in tow = 1500 pounds simultaneously.

With this scenario, I'd like to have a automatic trans but will a 4 cylinder be adequate ? Of course 6 cyl is better but I'd like to save on gas. Most of the time (95% of the time), I'll likely just have passengers = 400 pounds maximum with nothing in the bed or in tow. It doesn't need to be fast on acceleration with a load but of course I don't want to have to count to 10 to begin to accelerate either with a load.

What do you think?

Reply to
Rob

I have never liked Automatics as work cars but we have recently jus over a year ago decked out a 2002 hilux tray top as a break down vehicle. we are carrying tools spares clean up equipment and a tailgate lifter, we have had no problems the only mod we did do was fit a trans oil cooler the other thing is to only use overdrive when on the open road to prevent trans wear from constant changing so far so good, my opinion is changing.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe

PS I forgot it's a 2.7 Litre 4 cylinder too and lots of power left and reasonable fuel economy still.

Reply to
Joe

My experience - for trucks and 4 cylinder engines, automatics just suck. If you go with auto, get the 6...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma access cab, 4 cyl, 5 spd., 4wd. I love this truck, I am so glad I got the 4 cyl 5spd. Plenty of kick, plenty of accellration, it will surprise you. Dont go by the test drive, this truck breaks in like a whole different beast. Not the same as the brand new timid test driver. I have always disliked automatics, but if you get the 4, get the 5.

4 cylinder automatics always suck. Dogs.
Reply to
franknlizob

I agree

Reply to