2006 Toyota Tacoma Oil Pan Location

I've been changing my own oil on cars for years. This is the first truck I've owned. Can someone tell me where the oil pan is on the 2006 Tacoma so that I can drain the oil. I've searched the web and found nothing!!

Thanks!

Reply to
cap174

Above the skid plate. Some mechanics manage to drain the oil without removing the plate, but then the plate gets oily and drips for days. Remove the plate. Takes my mechanic 30 seconds. He says he replaces the bolts with a non-powered ratchet, but I don't recall the reason. Maybe they feel especially prone toward being stripped.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have an '05 TRD 4x4 V6 and change my own oil, thank you.

There is NO reason to remove anything to get the drain plug. I simply drive the front wheels up on ramps and the opening in the skid plate, thoughtfully provided by Toyota, lets the oil drain nicely, leaving nothing on any plates or chassis members.

Does your mechanic charge extra for skid plate removal?

Reply to
B A R R Y

In a 2002 Tacoma, raised on a level lift, the plate gets oily. As we can see in any parking lot, a lot of car owners don't notice or don't care if their vehicles are dripping oil. I don't like it, not only because it makes a mess of the driveway, but because if I ignored it, I might not be alert to any oil drips that were actually indicative of a problem.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

But that's not an '06.

The 05' pretty much is an early '06.

Evidently, more thought was put into the newer vehicle. The 4.0L also has the _slick_ top mounted oil filter that earlier models didn't have.

I didn't own a 3.4L, but I heard the oil filter was a PITA to access.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Better to give the guy a clue based on an earlier model. This is a slow newsgroup. Sometimes responses take a day or two. Maybe he wants to change his oil TODAY.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In the middle of the skid plate towards the rear you'll see an oval piece of plasic. . Use a flat head to pop that sucker off, and you'll be in business.

Reply to
qslim

Ausome! That's what I'm doing....changing it myself....

Reply to
cap174

Thanks I'll work on it tonight!

Doug Kanter wrote:

Reply to
cap174

If you gotta ask ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really Dude?

Reply to
Tony

Yeah, really.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I can't see any hole in my skid plate ... V6 2006 :(

Reply to
lifeisfun

Look again.

It's not a round hole, but a stamped opening, with the edges turned up, right in front of the transmission, that makes the oil drain easily accessible.

I don't know what qslim was referring to, as none of the (3) North American spec '05+ V6 Tacomas I'm familiar with had any sort of cover. While trucks in Oz may be built to slightly different standards, I can't see the oil drain landing in a different spot if you've got the same engine and chassis. You still need to service it, no matter where you live!

Reply to
Bonehenge

I just checked again ... NO holes in my skid plate :(

Reply to
lifeisfun

If you gotta ask ...

"lifeisfun" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
vaio

I am.

Reply to
Bonehenge

You've gotta be kidding me!!! The freaken oil drain plug is right there!!! I'll have to agree with Jeff. If you gotta ask.

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

And if you could follow a thread, you'd know that "Bonehenge" (me on a different Usenet installation) informed the OP of that fact.

So, if you gotta' reply...

Reply to
B A R R Y