2006 TUNDRA 4X4 AUTO LSD?

Just took possession of a new 2006 Tundra 4x4 standard cab with 8' bed. When would I want to use the Auto LSD button? It seems to me that under slippery conditions I should just switch to 4wd?

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

What does the skinny book, in the glove box say?

While that sounds crass, perhaps checking what Toyota's engineers think before a bunch on anonymous opinions from the Internet might make sense?

Reply to
B a r r y

If it's FULL TIME 4 wheel drive, there's no option to switch to 4 wheel drive and it's called 4X4. If there's a neat little button on the dash to switch to 4 wheel drive, it's called 4X2. The 4 wheel drive button is designed to get you out of jams, NOT to drive around daily with it on. This will tear up the transmission, transfer case and differentials as it's not designed for FULL TIME 4 wheel drive. This button is designed to get you unstuck, steering straight ahead! If you drive around turning corners with this on, it WILL tear up your front axle and you'll hear awful noises coming from the same. I'm not familiar with the LSD. It sounds like a suspension adjusting device sensitive to loads in the truck. I'd imagine this is turned on when hauling or towing stuff.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Barry, the whole idea of this site is for additional opinions. No one is expected, or recommended, to take anyone's word as law here. Lighten up, and if this is your opinion, why are you here???

Reply to
MrFixit469

The skinny book in the glove box is rather evasive about it. Yes I read the manuals that came with the vehicle and checked with the dealership where I purchased it. Thank you for your sincere efforts to help Barry!!!

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

It is a Limited Slip Differential (rear) (LSD) which is turned on or off with a dash button. The vehicle is a part time 4wd so I guess I should have said 4x2. My mistake.In any case I am looking for help on the Auto LSD button which as you stated you are not familiar with.Thanks for your advice on 4 wheel drive systems!

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

Are you sure it's not a LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL?

LSD usually works on it's own.

Reply to
B a r r y

Site?

1.) This is usenet, not a site. 8^)

2.) My Tacoma's manual is quite complete in it's description of LSD, Locking Diffs, and the use of 4wd high and low. I'd expect the Tundra to have similar in

Since he's so clueless, a great first place to start is the manual. Then, when something doesn't make sense, a much better question can be presented, no?

Even with the "opinions" available here, the manual still has plenty of terrific information.

Would you rather read the 100th request for how to turn off the "Service Engine Soon" light?

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

It seems as if I have come up with something which you know nothing about Barry. Thanks for trying. If there is anybody who actually can help it would be appreciated. Calling me culeless is just a way for someone who knows nothing to write about it. I'm sure this is a bit over your head so I'll just let it go.

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

The Auto LSD is not a real LSD but part of the Vehicle Stability Control system. The Auto LSD achieves the equivalent functions of an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) through the use of a traction control system. When the driver presses the Auto LSD switch, this system achieves the LSD effect by regulating the hydraulic pressure that acts on the drive wheels and controlling the engine output in accordance with the amount of pedal effort applied on the accelerator. Auto LSD tends to enhance the acceleration effort somewhat, in order to apply greater drive torque to the wheel that is making contact with the ground. Thus, this function enables the vehicle to get unstuck if a wheel loses its grip, and enhances the vehicle's startoff performance on high-resistance surface conditions such as gravel roads

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Absolutely! As another poster mentioned, it's not really a limited slip differential at all. I tend to avoid electronic traction control on

4x4's. My off-road use often involves airing down tires, which usually confuses the heck out of them. These devices usually use the brakes to grab the spinning wheel, mechanically forcing the torque to the wheel with more traction, which the differential now thinks is the wheel with LESS traction. Another poster mentioned "hydraulic pressure", that's brakes. In a vehicle with ABS, the wheel speed sensor is already there, so adding computerized traction control is cheap and easy. Even the cheesy Chevy Cavalier had a version of this.

Here's some background on how a differential works, which will make the computerized brake application make sense:

Limited slip and locking differentials are frequently confused, and Toyota does offer an electric locker, hence my request for clarification.

A real LSD works ALL the time and won't be damaged by high-traction surfaces. A locker mechanically locks both axle halves together, defeating the operation of the differential altogether. This can have an effect so extreme as to push you straight ahead with the wheels turned on low traction surfaces.

The other "opinion" that questioned my referring you to the manual even confused the LSD button with the 4WD selector and air suspension.

FWIW, running the truck in 4WD for a few miles on a regular basis is usually a good idea. Do this on rainy days, and not in areas where tight turns are required, like parking lots. This actuates all the parts, spins the shafts, and distributes lubricants.

Good luck with your brush guard...

Reply to
B a r r y

There you go, that's the way to get help. Don't bother to read your manual, then when you post a question and someone asks something to define it and make sure they understand, you attack them and flame them with your personal opinions. Once you get an answer, be like a lot of others and don't bother to come back until you need something again, there'll be a whole bunch of people just waiting to help you. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92