2007 Toyota Tacoma--High Pitched Whine

I just bought a brand new 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Package. Great truck, but when I get it up to 75-80 mph on the freeway, it exhibits a weird, intermittent whining sound. It is clearly caused by wind noise (not a mechanical issue), and only when a strong side gust hits. It's a very loud noise and sounds like when you put a blade a grass in between your palms and blow. I can't pinpoint the location, but it's definitely coming from the front end (maybe the front passenger side).

Has anyone else every experienced this? I would take it into the dealership, but to reproduce the noise I have to get the truck up to

75 mph--a tough task without getting pretty far out of Atlanta traffic.
Reply to
kicksave

In perfect conditions, at the right speed with the right crosswind, I get a "steam whistle toot". It's only noticeable with the stereo at very low volume, or off. I've never heard it at legal speeds.

I stopped worrying about it when the Thule Xsporter I added made enough noise to make me not care about other noises. I installed the Toyota hood bug deflector after the rack, and I think it *may* have lessened the tooting occurances.

My truck is a TRD Off Road, so you can eliminate the Sport's fake hood scoop as the noise source.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I forgot to mention, I have an Access Cab. I don't know if the airflow differences over the different roof lines make a difference.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Good point, Barry. Because I was thinking that perhaps the fake scoop was causing the noise. But the noise I'm experiencing is certainly loud enough to drown out the radio--even drowns out conversation in the truck!

Reply to
kicksave

That would certainly bug me.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Just curious, have you tried to duplicate the noise in a lower gear at a lower speed with similar RPM and load? As in, going up a hill in a lower gear at similar RPM. Or, when the noise is happening, downshift to 4th and see if it's effected.

Reply to
DanG

From the sound you describe, with the wind velocity you are experiencing, it may be a fairing or non-metalic part that is vibrating against another part creating the howl. Tap on wheel moldings, plastic pieces, fiberglass close-outs to feel, see, and hear for small gaps. If you find a close-out or plastic panel that is not snugly fitting and might be in the airstream, try putting a piece of tape on those suspect parts one at a time and repeat the high speed drive to see if the noise abates.

Loose fairings, close-outs, body modlings, and such can create a harmonic resonance within the cab when they vibrate depending on given conditions.

Reply to
Oldphart

Mud flaps come to mind as well. Mine seem to transfer a lot of sound into the cabin when they drag or touch anything.

Reply to
DanG

I think the noise is coming from the windshield try sealing the top seam.

Reply to
rb

kicksave wrote in news:1193629393.982470.107410 @z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

This is a known problem with 05-07 Tacomas. There are some references to it when searching Google etal. It is caused by the windshield trim vibrating against the seal (or something like that). I understand there is a TSB so ask your dealer service manager. Good Luck. I haven't gotten mine fixed yet. Next time I am in for service I will bring it to their attention.

Reply to
BG