2008 4Runner Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been driving my new 4Runner (SR5 2WD V6 w/ 17" tires) for 6 months now and there is something I am just not too happy about.

Ever since I bought it, I felt like the vehicle wanders slightly which makes it harder to control on just about any surface - streets or freeway. I took it to the dealership and they tell me that the steering wheel is really sensitive and that I just need to get used to it.

Well, I am not sure that's all it is. So I'd like to know if anyone out there with a 2008 4Runner is experiencing the same problem. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Joe, they're all like that. This is an off-road vehicle that can do roads as well, not a blacktop cruiser. Make sure your tire pressures are OK and there's no slack in the steering or suspension and you should be good to go.

Earlier BMWs (E24/28) have the same feel because of their non-rack and pinion steering system - your Toyota might feel as though it's wandering but it isn't - just relax and go with it.

Reply to
Sporran

I have the fully loaded 2007 4x4 V6 and find it drifts a little, is annoying, but it's manageable.

My Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 V8 that I traded for it didn't drift at all, and cornered a lot better, but I like getting 25MPG vs 11MPG in the dakota.

Reply to
Leythos

Are you towing the V6 4Runner to get 25 MPG?

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

Nope, on a bad week I average 23.5, on a good week I get just over 25, depending on how much I exceed 70MPH.

Watch your RPM and the MPH computer, there seems to be a spot where if you keep the RPM under it will get even better over a long period of time. I check weekly or more often as I fill up.

Reply to
Leythos

I have been told that 4X4's are usually more difficult to control. But, mine is not 4X4 so I thougt it should handle better.

Thanks for replying.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

You can ask to drive another new 4Runner. One owner reported his 3.5L V6 engine had piston slap. So he tried other 3.5L Toyota Lexus on the lot and they all had that (loose production piston-bore clearances). If so it's in the design, and they've gotten cheaper by the year unfortunately.

Reply to
johngdole

I've never driven a vehicle with this much Drift in all my life, but this is my first Toyota.

Reply to
Leythos

I'm not sure if something changed I have an 04 sport no wandering at all it's a 4x4 though if that makes a difference, I rarely use 4h

Reply to
Fritz

My Tacoma has the same front end and the higher profile off-road tires. It doesn't drift much at all.

Drive more 4Runners on a dealer lot.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

Is it 4WD?

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

4WD with all the toys, limited edition 2007, with every option they make available.
Reply to
Leythos

25 MPG is really good...
Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

I drive a combination of 30% city, and 70% highway, and I see no less than 20 (based on a reset of the computer) in the city, are just a little over 25 from time to time averaged over a full tank vs miles (not calculated using the onboard computer).

Reply to
Leythos