2010 Tacoma Wheel Swap Guidance

I recently bought a 2010 Tacoma Access, and for a variety of reasons the deal was too good to pass up, but it came with steel 16x7 wheels. I'd like to upgrade to an OEM alloy wheels, and found plenty of options on local craigslist listings. Here is my question. My Tacoma was equipped with TPMS which appears to be provided by a small sending unit on the inside of the valve stem. If I wanted to maintain the tire pressure monitoring capability, could I just have the valve stems with sending unit swapped to the new (used) wheels? Any reason to avoid any of the available sizes that would fit? 17 inch? Even 18 inch? Assuming appropriate tire sizes to maintain rolling circumference?

Thanks

Reply to
JMc

swapped to

Wheel offset and backspace should be the same as well as tire width could cause clearance problems. Don't know about the valve stem as mine doesn't have the TPMS. A couple of sites that may be helpful--

and
Found one more--

Anyolmouse

There are two types of sensors for the Taco, one with a 20-deg angle used for the steel wheels and one with a 40-deg angle for the aluminum wheels. The steel-wheel sensor won't seat properly in aluminum wheels. However, you can strap the sensor to the wheel and use a conventional valve stem.

The 17" wheel that comes with the Double Cab models is a bit heavier than the 16"; both should fit just fine. 18" wheels, if OEM, would be for the X-Runner model with a five-lug pattern.

Reply to
First of One

check out

its a tacoma forum, free to sign up. you might even find rims there with the sensors already in there

Reply to
Charles H.

OPSSSSSSs sorry wrong link, i will get right one and post

Reply to
Charles H.

Tacomaworld, not Toyotaworld. :-)

First of One