22R EGR HELP!!

Hi, I own a 94' Toy 2WD. It used to be an EFI but was swapped to carb. Right now the carb and vacum hoses are messed up. I was looking at the back of the engine and saw all the vaccum tubes and the EGR so I was wondering if I can just remove everything. A friend of mine said its okay but I hope to get some professional advice before doing anything. Anyone with experience in this help me please!!! THank you.

Reply to
kuchinu

I'm not a professional... but.. In my personal experience, you can unhook all the stuff, but the engine will not run *exactly* right without all those connections.

I have a 20R that would hiccup just off idle when you accelerated but always kept running and ran "acceptably".. hoooked up the carb correctly and it runs properly again.

Do you know what year vehicle the carb is from? I have the diagrams for celicas from 78 - 83...

The stock cams have different duration between the EFI and the carb version, or so I read anyway:

For 1975 and up 20R's and non EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 272 degrees Exhaust Duration- 248 degrees Intake Lift- 10.1 mm Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

For EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 248 degrees Exhaust Duration- 280 degrees Intake Lift- 10.0 mm Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

Reply to
Celica Dude

Thanks for your reply! Personal experience is way professional compared to my knowledge.

I don't know what year vehicle the carb came from, but recently I hooked up another stock carb (sadly I dont know the year of it also) and it runs the same, and just like you discribed, it hiccups.

Since I dont think I will ever come across a "good" stock carb, I ordered a Weber 32/36 kit and hope that it will solve the problem once I install it. I'm lucky that there are no emission laws here, but I just hope that it will be fine if I close off the EGR and remove the other vacuum tubes.

As for the cam, I remember the previous owner telling me that its a 320 cam. Not sure if that is true, but if its true then it is obviously too high. I recently inspected the cam and its ground off pretty bad so I found a stock cam from a 89' carb truck, and bought new rockers. Hope that works.

Reply to
kuchinu

I think you will be very happy with the Weber.. I have a few 32/36s sitting on the shelf waiting for my dead-a$$ to get some adaptors. The only thing blocking off the EGR will do is affect your gas mileage (it will go down a little). No big deal usually.. I would make sure you have a source for vacuum advance/retard... that's about all you really need to worry about, i would imagine. (well also the power brake booster too)

From what I've read, 320 is too much cam without altering the geometry of the rocker assembly.. the high lift also affects the oiling of the cam..

The stock cam should work fine ... make sure it doesn't bind when you torque it down... it should turn easily with your fingers (remember to lube the bearings of the head and the journals of the cam with 30w oil -- just a disclaimer) .. you should also dress the journals of the cam with some 20 micron paper soaked in and kept clear with kerosene if you can get it..

Did you buy *new* rockers or just a "good assembly" ? If you bought a new assembly with new rockers, you might consider buying a new cam.. A new cam will cost you probably around $80 from the dealer.

Reply to
Celica Dude

I bought a set (8 pieces) of Top Line rockers, its not the assembly. I hope it match up with OEM quality.

Also, do you happen to know where I can get a good vacuum hose diagram?

Reply to
kuchinu

Did you get them from Ebay by chance? I used a Top Line gasket set when I redid the head on my 83 celica... very nice quality stuff.

I will see what I can come up with on the vacuum diagram... The latest

*really accurate* diagram I have (that I know of) is for an '83 Celica..
Reply to
Celica Dude

Yeah I got it from ebay. My local Toyota dealer dont have them and dont plan to have them.

Any diagram close to my engine will be extremly helpful. Thank you you've been very helpful.

Reply to
kuchinu

let me guess -- 'engnbldr' ... He's the man! I've bought parts from him a few times and it's always the right stuff. The machine shop in town here even commented on my "hollywood" parts that i brought in for them to install. (actually i think they were *bitching* about the press-in performance bronze valve guides because they had to be honed a bit more than normal... waaaaahhhh).

Reply to
Celica Dude

That is right.... engnbldr.. it looks good and I hope it works good too.

Reply to
kuchinu

I have a vacuum diagram for an 83 Celica w/ carburator if you would like it... is that your proper email address?

Reply to
Celica Dude

yes, that is my proper mail address..... thanks

Reply to
kuchinu

Thanks for the diagram, it is real helpful. By the way do you happen to know the pressure of a stock mechanical fuel pump?

Reply to
kuchinu

I have not been able to find the spec yet, but I have found so far that the low pressure electric fuel pump used on the 1978 - 79 Celicas delivered 1.2 litres (41.5 oz) in one minute and the pressure should be between 2.1 - 4.3 psi.. I don't know how that compares to an '83's mechanical pump.. but I will try to find out. I would assume that it's somewhere in that range, however.

Reply to
Celica Dude