22R Losing Oil?

I've got an '85 Toyota 4wd pickup, carburated with a 22r, and a 5spd manual trans and I seem to be losing oil. Both the owners manual and the service manual say that it takes 4.9 qts of oil but every time I do an oil change i only get out about 3 to 4 qts out of the pan and the filter. I've inspected the plugs and I don't get smoke out of the tail pipe so i dont think i'm burning oil, but I've checked everywhere and I can't find any sign of a leak. Are there any places were this vehicle commonly looses oil, or any seals that are notoriously bad?

Thanks, Anders

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well, generally, Toyota engines *use* a certain amount of oil between changes anyway; all of mine have exhibited the same trend as you're describing. They all went well over 100K, two are well over 200!

Look at the frame around the oil pan. I learned a *long* time ago that the screw holding the oil pan on (esp on oplder models) work toose after about

65,000 miles. Get a (10?) mm wrench and *GENTLY!!!* tighten the bolts (they will start to just spin if you overtighten!)

I do this about every 3 oil changes and I cut my losses quite a bit, though not entirely. I'd say what you describe is normal from what I've seen of that engine. Just keep checking and adding between changes.

Reply to
HachiRoku

While I found this to be true, Don't overlook replacing the drain bolt washer every so often.

Reply to
?reality

You're right about the book calling it 4.9 quarts.

However- I have an '85 2wd pickup with the carburated 22r, 5 speed. It has never taken more than about 3 1/2 quarts to bring it to full, according to the dipstick, even with an empty (new) oil filter. I'd go with what the dipstick says and don't overfill it.

BTW my truck went over 250K miles two days ago!

HTH Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

Yeah, dat too....

Hey, ya know, I've never found reality long enough to ask it *anything*!! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

What was that all about? Did I piss you off someplace?

Reply to
?reality