22R Timing Chain Survey -- Mileage?

I would like to survey everybody with 22R (22RE,etc) to see the mileage that people got on their timing chains before changing.

Also to see if anybody's chain started rubbing the timing chain cover.

I will start off with the survey.

Thanks, Nick

84 Toyota 4x4 single row chain Orginal chain changed at 120,000 ... no rubbing second chain still on at 240,000 ... no rubbing yet and still going!
Reply to
N. Funk

'84 standard pick-up, 143,000, original plastic parts disintegrated and fell into oil pan probably causing the total engine failure, hole worn in case, then I bought it, rebuilt it and now drive it. Marty Orlando, Fla.

Reply to
ML

My 87 toyota, orginal timming chain 160K, next timing chain chaned at 435K which is 275k. I replaced it with a metal backed chain myself this time, job was a piece of cake. By the way, the second timming chaning still had plenty of life, I only replaced it because the Toyota dealer mechanic said the the motor sounded like it needed the timing chain replaced. What a crock. But I must admin the pickup and go is better now. The truck has 467K on it. Another 3k and it will have made a trip to the moon and back.

john babiarz

Reply to
john babiarz

I am at 197k with what I believe is the original timing chain (I bought the truck at 95k; dealer told me chain was noisy and needed replacement at

120k). I take a look inside every year (started out every six months after the dealer tried to sell me a chain job for $1000, then I began to worry less). Last time I looked inside (last June) everything appeared OK. Backlash was 8 degrees (measured at crankshaft). Clatters a little at start now, sometimes.

93, 22RE.

Jim

Reply to
James Andrus

1994 pickup, oil changed at Jiffy Lube every 8-12k, lots of sludge in the cap when I traded it on the Tundra at 225k, original chain and rear shoes, no noises from the chain.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

That indicates that the chain was stretched and needed to be changed.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer
87 4Runner, 242K no noise, no problems. Blew a piston & replaced the whole engine, There were plastic chunks and lots of metal chips from the sprokets in the crankcase.
Reply to
rj
86 P/U 22R 157K miles broken guide, chain skipped, bent valves.
Reply to
Joseph Wind

85 Pickup, changed at 192K for good measure when I blew a head gasket. Put in metal chain guides from LC Engineering and HD timing chain from DOARacing. Mechanic said I had some plastic pieces from the OEM chain guides in my oil pan, but the chain wasn't rattling or anything.
Reply to
TacomaDude
91 4X4 22RE, catastrofically lost the timing chain at ~85K miles, fortunatly it occured at engine start, so there was fairly light damage to the engine (ie: no bent valves etc..).. Funny, it happened at the local Toy dealer where I was visiting to buy parts.. I parked the truck, went and got my parts, and upon turning the engine over to leave, the engine emitted the most horrible noises I've ever heard out of a car.. Needless to say, I immediately quit cranking.. One of the Toy mechs was passing by and was very sympathetic to my plight. I left the truck there, and had the dealer check it out.. It destroyed the front timing chain cover, and it wound up costing me ~$1500 to get my truck back.. The svc mgr told me that my use of non-Toy (FRAM) oil filters 'contributed' to the failure.. Since then I've learned several things: one of which is DO NOT ALLOW THE DEALER TO DO MAJOR REPAIRS LIKE THIS!!! About a month later I spoke to a 30yr Toyota master mechanic who ran his own local shop, and he told me about the orignial plastic guides vs the replacement metal guides AND the fact he would have done the same work as the dealer for less than half the $1500 the dealer charged, he also told me that as long as I used good quality (FRAM etc) filters, which I do, along with religious 3K mile filter/lube/oil changes, I would be ok on the new chain/guides.. We live and we learn....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Frandin
89 4Runner 22RE automatic Never changed it in 365 000 km . Had it checked by my mechanic every 100 000 km Vehicle died in an accident

Reply to
postee

87 standard 22r still origional chain at 198,000 although I had the bottom main seal done at 180,000
Reply to
twiedeman

Reply to
Brian Faddis
89 P/U w/22r & 253K on original chain...no noise but I am planning to change it this summer. Timing is off so I know it is stretched a bit.
Reply to
mnm
81 22R 260,000 plus still going
Reply to
rmlishbrook
1987 22R. 150,000 miles. Oil and filter every 5000 miles. Blew headgasket, replaced sprockets, chain and guides too. Everything looked fine. No wear on the guides.
Reply to
Den

Are there any good after-market timing chains for the 22RE or can I only get it from Toyota?

Reply to
123
1989 2x4 with 262,000 and still running.

Bill

Reply to
Brush
1985 manual trans 22r carburated I heard mine rattling when i bought it with only 87,000. had it checked by 3 mechanics all said it needed to be changed so i changed mine guides were pretty worn and it was hitting the cover a bit. Wonder what caused mine to go so early compared to everyone else's.
Reply to
Wolfgang
1986 truck has 150,000 miles on it has the original timing chain. I change oil every 3000 miles.
Reply to
Robert Masse