22re Engine - Interference or Not?

Greetings,

I have a'94 Toyota Pickup, 4x4, 22re engine, 194K miles, with broken timing chain.

I am willing to deal with a chain kit, etc., and any other damage inside the timing cover but not if there is valve/piston damage, too.

About half the information on the internet says this is an "interference" engine, and the other half says not. Some people are quoting shop manuals, some are quoting mechanics. Some claim to have gotten away with just a chain kit, other claim bent valves. Is there just a point in the cam rotation where all valves are out of harm's way?

So which is it, interference or not?

Thanks in advance,

Warren ( snipped-for-privacy@warcholik.com)

Reply to
toyota

Everything I have read or heard states that the 22R and 22RE are interference engines as this site reaffirms:

Jarhead

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." ---Patrick Henry

Reply to
Jarhead

I rebuilt a 22R and careless me left one of the timming chain guide bolts loose. It came out dropped down between the chain and crank gear. Broke the chain, teeth off the timming gear, tensioner and messed up the timming chain cover. Did not do any damage to valves or pistons. It was running at almost idle when it happened. I may have just been lucky, but I wouldn't scrape the engine without checking it. Charles

Reply to
charles bridges

Interference engine. Same thing happen on my 86' PU with 150k miles. Go to

for parts. Check the inside front cover fordamage, the chain will grind on it when the guide breaks. Opt for the stealbacked guides instead of the plastic guides. Good Luck

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Reply to