22RE engine light on, 1992 pickup

22RE engine light on, 1992 pickup, engine will remain running when going, but quites when I let off the gas to stop or change gears, something to do with the idle I think. Need help with this problem. Thanks
Reply to
Butch

The first step in tracking down the problem is to get the code from the computer.

Butch wrote:

How to read codes,

anon

Most auto parts stores will check OBD2 codes free of charge. Obviously you should then by the repair parts from them.

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba, 92 isn't OBD2. Not that an auto parts store can't read them if they're not. :>)

Reply to
anon

About half of the ECU codes stored on the first & second generation EFI Toyotas don't show a constant blinking check engine light therefore you must pull the ECU codes to see if a fault is registered.

To pull the ECU codes: All 1980-1995 and including 1995 EFI equipped vehicle allow you to find engine and related faults by pulling the ECU (computer) codes without the need for a handheld OBDII diagnosis scanner, the sites listed below have the fault codes needed to pull the codes and the instructions on how to do it:

(auto tranny codes)
Pulling the ECU (EFI computer) codes is the first thing I do to diagnosis a problem thereafter I reset the ECU to see if the same problems show up and if so I then take voltage measurements at each ECU wire both with the engine running and not and compare with the factory service manual, I also close the ignition switch after a cold engine and also after a warm engine and compare the resistance values with the factory service manual. This technique will completely isolate your problem without having to do trial and error and it is the technique I use when repairing tv's, vcr's, home/car audio.

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,with 252 000 KM

O=20 |\ __O=20 _|_| \

Reply to
sidneybek

Reply to