22re Head Interchangability: a cautionary tale

Just a bit of info learned the hard way. I have a 93 pickup 22re, which was replaced due to terminal body cancer by a 92 pickup with the same 22re. Looking ahead, I held onto the 93 as an organ donor. So... I thought a had a head gasket issue. Pulled the head to find a burned exhaust valve on the #3. So, thinking that my foresight finally paid off and I could swap heads until I could have the one with the burned valve revived, I went to work. All went well until I tried to install the head off the parts truck. No dice. Very very similar, but would not slide over the locating pins. Different distance between them (off by maybe 1/16). On closer inspections exhaust ports were a different shape too. Found later that the timing chain guides are a different design as well (92 had shorter reach on bolts). Noticed at least one different casting mark as well-one marked "7," the other "17" on side of head. So... Was there a change in head design between 92&93 or am I looking at something more fishy, i.e. maybe the 92 had the motor swapped before I bought it? Wasted a weekend on this.

One more thing... Bought a new timing kit on ebay from engnbldr.com. While I understand the new chain should be tight, I found it to be WAY TIGHT, and one link shorter than the one I removed. i do not have all week to work on this so I used the new sprokets with the old chain. It fits, but when aligned properly there is more slack than I expected on the driver's side (the side without the tensioner). With the guides and tensioner installed there is no danger of it jumping a tooth, but I expected it to be tighter. Any experiences would be helpful before I put the cover back on tomorrow.

Reply to
David Floyd

Mike K

In North America the 22R & 22R-E s are used in the following:

22R 1981-82 Toyota Corona 1981-83 Celica 1981-87 Toyota pickup (up to 1990 on 2wd) 1984-87 Toyota 4-Runner

22R-E (22REC=3DCalifornia emissions=3Dextra charcoal canister)

1983-85 Celica 1985-95 Toyota pickup 1985-95 Toyota 4-Runner

22RTE (Turbo EFI)

1985-87 Toyota 4-Runner 1985-87 Toyota pickup

22R Series tech data:

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 251 000 KM
Reply to
sidneybek