22re starter rare intermittent, no solenoid click, clock dims.

sometimes (rarely) I hit the key to crank and it makes no sound, but the clock and stereo lights dim. Hit it again and it starts by cranking like normal. It seems like its shorting somewhere, if the starter contacts were bad, the solenoid would click, then it would dim and not crank, is that correct? I get no solenoid noise.

I have checked battery, wiring, and connections to starter, but would maybe the ignition switch do this?? I am stumped Since its very intermittent, its hard to troubleshoot, maybe once or twice a month it will do this but I bet someday it will strand me.

Reply to
Cregster

The starter may be going out, but I would check your negative battery grounds and find each one on the body and the engine or frame, and then take them off and clean each one thourghly. Remember it has to be metal to metal contact with no rust, dirt, oil or paint between them. The juice has to flow both ways, and it sounds like the ground connections may not be doing very well. I just redid mine...Dwight

Reply to
free10

Reply: Replace the two copper starter contacts inside the starter. Cost: $4.00. I've done this twice on two different vehicles!!

Reply to
Ridgerat

Reply to
speedy