22RE Timing Repair: Looking for Advice

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup 2.4 2WD I bought new. It has 118k miles on it. A few weeks ago I heard a noise in the engine and the truck began running roughly. I suspected a timing chain problem. That might seem obvious except that my timing chain broke at 95k. The current assembly; chain, sprocket, guides and tensioner were all replaced less than three years ago. I had my local Toyota dealership do the entire job, including replacing 4 valves that were damaged.

I went back to the dealership. They first suggested that the problem was the distributor/plugs/wires/rotors. I knew that it wasn't, but went ahead and replaced them with no improvement. They then suggested that the truck needed a valve adjustment. That was done with no improvement. When a technician finally looked down into the timing assembly he saw that there was damage to the guides. The dealership wanted $825 to put on new guides and a tensioner. I refused to pay and took the truck home to do the job myself.

When I took the timing cover off it was a mess. Both guides were dangling on one bolt. The rest of the pieces were in the oil pan. The timing chain had chewed a big chunk out of the cover and had so much slack on the driver' s side that there was a 90 degree kink in it. I replaced everything in the timing assembly, as well as the timing cover. I am ready to put the truck back together. Now for my questions:

I really want to make sure that the crankshaft and camshaft are aligned before I turn the engine over and destroy the valves. I had #1 at TDC when I took off the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets, and did not move the crankshaft or camshaft any more than necessary. Before putting on the new sprockets and chain I aligned the bright link with the dimple on the cam sprocket, and the other bright link with the crank sprocket dimple. Now that they are mounted the cam sprocket dimple is at 12:00 and the crank dimple at 6:00. The dimple on the crankshaft pulley also is at 12:00. There is little slack on the driver side, and the tensioner takes out the slack on the passenger side. Is there any way I screwed this up or does this assure me that my cam and crank are synchronized?

My second question has to do with the original repair. They insist that because the warranty was 12 months there is nothing they can do. I do not believe that a timing chain replacement should fail after 23k miles, not to mention the original 95k. Is this unreasonable of me? In my opinion the repair was either done wrong, or the parts were defective. Is there another explanation? What should the dealership do?

Reply to
Swill

I was taught the camshaft sprocket should be replaced with the chain, they wear together in a specific slope. I assume the crank sprocket is less vunerable due to materials size and mass. Had the dealer replaced the camshaft sprocket? the dangling tensioner indicates to me a lack of thread locker and insufficient bolt torque. I'd definitely call the BBB.

Reply to
?reality

|| I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup 2.4 2WD I bought new. It has 118k miles || on it. A few weeks ago I heard a noise in the engine and the truck || began running roughly. I suspected a timing chain problem. That || might seem obvious except that my timing chain broke at 95k. The || current assembly; chain, sprocket, guides and tensioner were all || replaced less than three years ago. I had my local Toyota dealership || do the entire job, including replacing 4 valves that were damaged. || || I went back to the dealership. They first suggested that the || problem was the distributor/plugs/wires/rotors. I knew that it || wasn't, but went ahead and replaced them with no improvement. They || then suggested that the truck needed a valve adjustment. That was || done with no improvement. When a technician finally looked down || into the timing assembly he saw that there was damage to the guides. || The dealership wanted $825 to put on new guides and a tensioner. I || refused to pay and took the truck home to do the job myself. || || When I took the timing cover off it was a mess. Both guides were || dangling on one bolt. The rest of the pieces were in the oil pan. || The timing chain had chewed a big chunk out of the cover and had so || much slack on the driver' s side that there was a 90 degree kink in || it. I replaced everything in the timing assembly, as well as the || timing cover. I am ready to put the truck back together. Now for || my questions: || || I really want to make sure that the crankshaft and camshaft are || aligned before I turn the engine over and destroy the valves. I had || #1 at TDC when I took off the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets, and || did not move the crankshaft or camshaft any more than necessary. || Before putting on the new sprockets and chain I aligned the bright || link with the dimple on the cam sprocket, and the other bright link || with the crank sprocket dimple. Now that they are mounted the cam || sprocket dimple is at 12:00 and the crank dimple at 6:00. The || dimple on the crankshaft pulley also is at 12:00. There is little || slack on the driver side, and the tensioner takes out the slack on || the passenger side. Is there any way I screwed this up or does this || assure me that my cam and crank are synchronized? || || My second question has to do with the original repair. They insist || that because the warranty was 12 months there is nothing they can || do. I do not believe that a timing chain replacement should fail || after 23k miles, not to mention the original 95k. Is this || unreasonable of me? In my opinion the repair was either done wrong, || or the parts were defective. Is there another explanation? What || should the dealership do?

I wouldn't have left until it was agreed to be done right.. You seem like you know what you're talking about, and if they didn't want to cooperate, there are other ways of getting them to do it... Another dealer maybe? If a dealership does the work, they should back it up and if they won't then it's just a shoddy place...

Too bad too....

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

They had me over a barrel. I could not get my truck repaired without paying them. They actually wanted money just to give me the truck back with no repair. Overall it was very unimpressive experience. I talked to the director of service and got nothing. He is confident that the warranty protects him. Apparently I should expect a timing repair every year and a day based on the quality of his shop's work. I am going to try Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. and see what they say.

Reply to
Swill

Reply to
scott and barb