3rd member and axle question

Hi Guys,

I havea question about the third member. Recently had my truck checked at a reliable and trustworthy mechanic and which inspecting the drivetrain for noise (it is whirring when accelerating) he thinks it is the ring/pinion.

The truck is well used. I hauled some heavy loads and when the gear oil was dropped, there were metal shavings in it.

I'm interested in fixing it, but the cost is very high, between $1000-$1500.

Does anyone know of a place that sells entire 3rd member unit that are remaunfactured? Is it possible for a somewhat mechanically include DIY guy to do himself?

any informed opinion on the best way to go? Cost is an issue because it's a 1993 - don't want to sink any money, it's in good shape, but it is still a 1993.

Reply to
superhawk

Superhawk, have you thought about a salvage yard 3rd member? If I were in your shoes, no doubt about it thats what I would do. I have bought a number of them over the years from $100 for a 3rd member and $300 for the entire assembly while I was racing toyota's and never got a bad one (I got to choose which one I wanted according to axle code and mileage and pulled it myself). Call around to your local yards and find the cheapest price with the most toyota trucks, If they wont let you pull it out, ask if at least you can choose which one you get. most will have a warranty if it makes noise, but you will be able to inspect it upon purchase. Be sure to know your axle code (ratio) when you go and look for the newest truck with same code, and yes you can do it at home (piece o' cake).

Reply to
firepumper1