3VE V6 eninge

Does anyone have the cure for the 3VE V6 engine tick, besides a new engine. I have adjusted the valves and checked the compression, but when the engine reaches about 2500 rpm's I can here a heavy ticking of the valves or the cams on the lifters. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Newsreader Tony

I've been considering buying a 90's 4Runner to get the 4doors since my tired old 2door 4Runner may not go well with our now 4 month old family addition. I have been doing a lot of surfing on the net for info about them. One of the things I have come across repeatedly on the 3.0s is bad wristpins. It sounds like they start off with ticking, then clicking, then pretty much banging the cylinder walls to bits. I'm not sure how you would go about checking to see if that is the problem. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

I'd ignore it, mines been ticking away for the last 100k, at 156k now and still going strong.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

Does anyone have the cure for the 3VE V6 engine tick, besides a new engine. I have adjusted the valves and checked the compression, but when the engine reaches about 2500 rpm's I can here a heavy ticking of the valves or the cams on the lifters. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Luther

Does anyone have the cure for the 3VE V6 engine tick, besides a new engine. I have adjusted the valves and checked the compression, but when the engine reaches about 2500 rpm's I can here a heavy ticking of the valves or the cams on the lifters. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Luther

Yep, my '88 4Runner SR5 has had the ole tap dancers under the hood for approx 50k miles now, but, a few weeks ago, took a turn for the worse. At first I thought it was something else that was wrong, but after focusing a bit closer to pinpoint its location determined it was from the engine itself. Been sitting in my driveway since. Has 175k miles on it. I _really_ don't want to know the cost to repair or rectify this problem. Leaning more and more towards selling it off to someone with more time and $$ to consider repairing it.

Reply to
Mr Muckle

Does anyone have the cure for the 3VE V6 engine tick, besides a new engine. I have adjusted the valves and checked the compression, but when the engine reaches about 2500 rpm's I can here a heavy ticking of the valves or the cams on the lifters. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bruce