3vze rear camshaft housing cover/plug leaks oil

I have a 92 4Runner with a relatively new long block (3500 miles)... recently noticed a slight oil leak coming from the bottom half of the rear camshaft housing covers on both cylinder heads... oil running down the head and then the block. Parts are only about $15 for two sets of covers and plugs, but my question is - is this just a remove and replace (of the covers and plugs) or do the camshafts need to be removed to change these items? Anyone had a similar experience? Thanks... Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not sure, Rich. However I have my camshafts out at the moment and will try to take a look and get back with you sometime today (if no one else answers) and let you know what I find. From what I remember from taking these plugs out a couple of weeks ago - I think there are held in with a bearing cap.

There is a rear cover over the plugs that is fastened to the outside head with a couple of machine bolts and you can get to these bolts from the back of the motor. However, I don't think these will release the plugs - I'm pretty sure that the plugs are sandwiched in via the bearing cap and some gasket sealer. If so, this means that you must remove the valve covers (good time to replace those gaskets). You can then remove just the bearing cap that holds in the plug. The shop manual gives a specific order for removing these camshaft bearing cap bolts - however, it shows the end cap coming off first.

There are four bolts on this cap (on the right head, only two on the left head) - the order to remove them is lower right, upper right, lower left, upper left. Note these are 10mm bolts and -- even though there are only supposed to be torqued to 12 ft-lb -- I had a heck of a time breaking mine loose. In fact, I rounded off several of the bolt heads in the process and had to use a special extraction socket to get them out. Probably won't happen to you - but I thought I would mention it because it is the only time I have experienced this on my 3VZE.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

I checked my 3VZ-E again and confirmed that the plugs are sandwiched between the head and a bearing cap. It's a similar setup to the camshaft seals in the front and I have been told that those can be changed without removing the camshaft and/or bearing cap. Of course, when changing the caps, one is working on the back of the motor with very little room to manuever. Also, it appears that the gasket maker applied around the plug is an important part of the sealing process. I don't know how you would replace the plugs and get a good seal without pulling the bearing cap. But, some other folks may have some good ideas.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Thanks for that info, Luther... I'm going to order up the parts I need and change them one way or the other. I have headers vs. the stock crossover pipe, so there is a little more room at the rear of the engine to work with. I'll let you all know how I make out. Thanks- Rich

Reply to
Rich