4 or 6 ???

I am in the process of acquiring a 2002 or 3 toyota tacoma and would like to ask those who have experience whether they would recomend a 4 or 6 cylinder for use for camping travel on backroads and which transmision to consider and why .

The truck would not be used to haul other than camping gear to locations requiring 4 wheel drive and of modest grade .

Piror to test driving ( for which there is no substitute ) I would like to hear from owners as to there satisfaction and knowledge of pros and cons .

regards , n

Reply to
Norman Dowds

If you get the 6, you can choose between the manual or automatic trans, the

4 only comes with the automatic. For my money, I'd prefer the 6 with the manual trans.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I prefer the 6

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

4 cylinder only with a manual. 6 cylinder with either.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

I have an 03 4cyl with manual. If you are concerned about gas, get the 4. I haul a 450lb snowmobile in my truck with a 75lb ramp through snow with no problems.

Reply to
Brad P

I would go for 4cyl too. With stock tires, you will have no power issues off road. If you feel the need for big rubber, you should regear truck be it 4cyl or V6 to maintain proper performance.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I went from stock 28 tires to 31, there is abit of decrease in speed on large hills but overall, nothing serious besides a slightly off speedo.

If you have a 4 banger, and go beyond 31s, then perhaps a regear would be necessary. But the inside stickers on mine say max tire size is 31.

Reply to
Brad P

I've owned a '96 Taco (4x4, 3.4L V6, manual tranny) for roughly eight years now. Seriously overpowered unless you're towing a large load. For just stuff in the bed, a 4-banger with a manual tranny would have plenty of guts.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I understand where you are coming from but 28 to 31 will result in about a 11% overall power loose in the amount of effort applied to grond at same driveshaft input levels and around 10% and above it is time to consider regearing especailly if they is a good bit of hauling of road (and not t mention it eases load on trany, engine and clutch too)

Check this out

The SnoMan

SnoMan

I have an older 22R and I have been very happy with the four. The only thing that I could complain about is that I can't pass Corvettes. But hey!, I bought a four wheel drive truck. Oh yeah, I trouble getting out of second gear in Colorado, but I like the scenery anyway. It hasn't ever left me stranded.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Colorado is has some beautiful country. I have traveled it many times. That thin air there can really tax a motor at time. Not sure what year you have but if you model allows it, advance the timing about 6 to 8 degrees over stock and it will help it some at altitude. When I travel out there with my 89 burb, I advance the timing about 8 degrees over what I run here and it does help at they realy high altitudes. Deeper gears can help too.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Another factor to consider is if you want to add after market engine modifications. There are a lot more out there for the 6 cylinder over the four. Although you could get a four cylinder and add a super charger..

Reply to
Tony

Thanks for the advice. If I were to reset the timing there, I'd have to walk back to Houston. I'm not very good with fiddling with such devices. I have the ability to build a beautiful engine and have. But I can't make the damn thing run right. Fine tuning just didn't come with my package. When I used to take my trail bike up into the rockies, I would add a .02 (I think) wire to the main jet in order to ride over the Sangre de Cristo range at Coledale. I think the pass is right around 10k. My '84 originally came with an altitude adjusting carb which was great in the mountains. I never had any trouble getting up and over anything with that carb. But it costs about a thousand dollars uninstalled and I just can't justify it here in Houston. I still don't have any real discernable problems at altitude, but there some passes, like Loveland Pass on I-70 and the road that goes up to Silverton from Durango that I never leave second gear. After I get some major work done on it this summer, I'm looking to take it up there again for some nostalgic roaming.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

I was last out there in 2003 and be traveling out there since the

70's. I know the loveland pass well. Try 160 west out of Wasenburg to Cortez (it takes you past Great Sand Dunes and Cortez is a nice town and Mesa Verede is near by too) and then 141 north out of Cortez for a pretty drive up into Telluride then on to Montrose and 90 to Black Canyon. I70 from Grand junction to Denver is pretty and Dillion area just before pass on west side of pass is nice too. Route 9 north near Dillon to 34 and into Grand Lake area and then north in to Rocky Mountain National Park is pretty too. If you can built a engine and have the sence to put a piece of wire in jets (nice trick) to lean it out, you can get a timing light and retime engine as Yotas that timing can be adjusted on is easy to do and it will help a lot. As you can guess though on some of thouse route gas stations are few and far between. My old Burb has a 40 gallon fuel tank which is pefect for such extended trips. You should travel through them in winter like I have a few times, it is awesome to see.

SnoMan

A Super would make a 4cyl run great at high altitude.

SnoMan

Both. One 22RE in a long bed. One 3VZE in a 4Runner. I like 'em both.

4 Cyl is easier to work on, but then I rarely have to, and better mileage. 6 Cyl has more power.

Richard Harper Morgan Hill, Ca

Reply to
rdhrdh