4 Runner Brakes Freeze @ Winter Temps

I've owned a 92 and now a 99 4Runner. Both vehicles have brakes that freeze at very cold temps i.e.: minus 26C. No matter how hard you press on the pedal, NO BRAKES !!!! Pump them a few times and it is as if something releases and the pedal will go down as normal and brakes work. Only happens first thing in the morning and only after the vehicle has sat outside in frigid cold temps. Fluid has been changed yet problem still happens. I think the booster is freezing and I think Toyota is aware of the problem and will not address it. Anyone experience this??

dave Ottawa CA snipped-for-privacy@bell.ca

Reply to
Dr. J

Haven't heard of that problem on 4runners, but I may paruse TSB's tomorrow. By the way, what in the world would lead you to think that Toyota would ignore a brake defect?

Reply to
qslim

Just rec'd a note on my email from Andy in western Canada. He has a 86

4Runner and has the same problem. This makes a 86, 92 and 99 all that experience freezing brakes. It only happens when it is frigid cold like minus 25C and on the first application of the brakes. It is not consistent. You never know when it is going to fail and again I say only on the first application after sitting overnight If I can get several replies of same problem, I'm hoping to take the notes to the Dealer or if possible directly to Toyota. I suspect this is a "Northern" problem due to the temps. Keep me posted please.

dave Ottawa ON CA snipped-for-privacy@bell.ca

Reply to
Dr. J

I've owned a 92 and now a 99 4Runner. Both vehicles have brakes that freeze at very cold temps i.e.: minus 26C. No matter how hard you press on the pedal, NO BRAKES !!!! Pump them a few times and it is as if something releases and the pedal will go down as normal and brakes work. Only happens first thing in the morning and only after the vehicle has sat outside in frigid cold temps. Fluid has been changed yet problem still happens. I think the booster is freezing

I agree with you on what is the problem. It sounds like a bit of moisture is being trapped in the valve(s) in the booster and freezing while sitting. Just a guess but, when you park it for overnight try pumping brakes a couple times with engine running to hopefully purge moisture. Can you hear any hissing sounds inside cab from booster area when engine is running? If so, the booster is leaking and could be drawing air with moisture into it. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

dave Ottawa CA snipped-for-privacy@bell.ca

My 86 Subie does it too. It's a cold weather thing. Nothing wrong with the vehicle. Pump the brakes a couple times when you first take off in in the morning. YAWN.

Reply to
pheasant

Yaa !!! How about frozen, pumped till the pedal finally moves then re freezes 10 klms down the road. I doubt this is a standard practise for vehicles north of the 49th. Minus 32C this morning and they are frozen again.

dave

Reply to
Dr. J

dave Ottawa CA snipped-for-privacy@bell.ca