4Runner A/C Clutch

94 4Runner V6 - I was told you can replace the A/C clutch without removing the compressor or interrupting the charge. anyone know if this is true? If it is, how difficult?
Reply to
JoeF

Can be done - depending on the car, very easy to medium difficult. Remove the center bolt and the clutch "lining" pops off the compressor driveshaft nose. Remove a circlip and the idler pulley is supposed to slide right off with a little persuasion.

I just did one on a Ford Van where the compressor is under the engine, and the job itself wasn't bad - but getting there, however...

Because of space concerns getting in there with a standard three-jaw puller, I had to warm up the welder and custom-build myself a puller tool to get the idler pulley off the front of the compressor. Once I had leverage, it went fast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

FYI Autozone has loaner tools that should cover this.

Reply to
Heatwave