4runner Caliper Brake Busted Bolt's & Stuck Slide pins

I need help badly. I just busted the 2 bolts that hold the caliper by turning them in the wrong direction. About 3/4 of an inch of each bolt with head snapped off. Now what do I do? This is after soaking the slide pins for a couple of days with rust remover, they also don't budge. I tried using a punch, vise gripping them in the middle and hammering outward etc. Is it possible to take apart the caliper while it is still mounted in order to access what's left of the bolts? Help needed badly, Richard

Reply to
youlookhot

Sure, take the calipers apart and replace them with reman calipers. Do not try to reassemble the calipers unless you feel able to completely overhaul them.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Just for the record, the reason for having tightened the bolts instead of loosening. Facing, I turned counter clockwise, which would have been dandy had the bolts entered in front and not from the back of the disk, and snap, crackle, pop!!! (2times) Am I the only one who ever did this??????????????????

Reply to
youlookhot

Once, no. Twice in a row, maybe. :) But don't dwell on it. it's broken, now it has to be fixed. No biggie.

BTW, did the caliper slide pin bolts break, or did the big ass anchor bolts break?

Reply to
qslim

I couldn't loosen those slide pins (92 4runner), I the garage must have to heat them up to remove them. What broke was the big ass anchor bolts! I should have suspected something when my 1/4 inch extension snapped and I had to go to the 1/2 inch. Nothin like havin the right tool for the job!

Reply to
youlookhot