4Runner dash

I notice the O/D light indicator on the dash doesn't light up any more tho the O/D does work. Is this just a fuse burnt out or something else?

Reply to
frankg

frankg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know what year 4Runner you have, but my '91 has a dash light when the O/D is OFF, not on.

Reply to
Rich

Thanks for the information. In my case, either way, it's unlit.

Do you know if it's a replacement of the bulb or a fuse? If a bulb, does it take a dashboard removal to get to it (hope not) ??

Thanks again.

Reply to
frankg

I have a '90 4runner and mine is the same: O/D light on mean O/D is off, no light no O/D. It will become very apparent after 40 MPH.

Reply to
Silentsam

frankg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My handy-dandy PDF files -- reprints from a '95 factory manual -- shows that the drivers side kick plate fuse block has Fuse 5 (a 10A fuse) as "O/D System, Gauges and Warning Lights." Fuse 3 (15A ampacity) is "Instrument Panel Lights."

Check them. (I'd be inclined to check Fuse 3 first.) If they're good, most likely it's the bulb. Also, if other idiot lights (ECU, 4WD, etc. are lighting, it's almost certainly the bulb.)

If it is the bulb, you most likely have to pull the instrument cluster. If that's the case, replace all the lamps as long as you have it open. :-{)

Reply to
Rich

thanks again for this info.

I tried to find on the net an illustration how to remove the instrument cluster but didn't find it yet. I may drop by some auto store and look inside a toyota repair manual but meanwhile do you have info how to remove it?

thanks for the help.... fg

Reply to
frankg

frankg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Check your email.

Reply to
Rich

Frank Try this site I think u may find what u are looking for.

Dave.Gibbens

Thanks for the web site

. It is well put together. Used the dashboard instructions to change speedo cable. Just had to adjust for the fact that the Hilux steering wheel is on the rightside. Dam english!!! ( My wifes English :))

Reply to
Silentsam