4runner Manual Transmission Question

I have a 96 4Runner with a manual transmission. 93K. 5sp 3.4L. Clutch is original. I bought it from the original owner and have a question about the transmission. Is it normal to only be able to engage first gear when the truck is stopped? I find that it will not go into 1st if I'm slowly rolling along...but once the truck is at a stop it goes in to the gear with out hesitation....is this normal??

Reply to
Chad G

Chad,

I have a '94 4Runner, and as far as I know, 1st is non-syncromeshed, so you can't downshift into 1st unless you're stopped. Save that for sports cars!

Bill

Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

I think it is. I can go into 1st when moving. It just won't go in when you are at too high of speed.

Reply to
Eddie

It should go into 1st from around the 10mph mark to 0mph. Wont harm anything unless you jam it in and pull out the cluth super quick, bare minimum then will be that you skid the rear tyres, wost case that you will blow your gearbox or differential.

Reply to
Scotty

I've got the same set up as you, similar mileage. It's stiff especially when cold, but if I'm at a very slow crawl I can downshift to first (parking lots, etc.) Otherwise I can downshift at about 5mph. I don't like to shift before then because it really is senseless with my driving environment/habits. IF I needed to suddenly accelerate, I'd be closer to redlining it and I'd rather lug it in second instead. We haven't had occasion in the mountains to resort to first gear yet unless we get behind someone who is too timid to drive with chains on above 5mph. I also find some stiffness trying to get her in reverse when parked unless I clutch in, brake off, and let her roll forward/backward a tad, then she'll easily reverse. She can be quirky but has never failed us. :)

BTW I'm guilty of starting her off in second gear a lot *g*. My dad's old 77 RamCharger was a conversion from tree shift to floor shift and the gear pattern for shifting was opposite. I was raised with that configuration- first gear was down on the pattern, not up (thankfully I don't try to upshift to reverse!)

Reply to
Pookerz