4runner tailgate key switch

On two of my 4runners (87 & 91), the key will roll the window down but not back up. They work fine with the console switch. I'm wondering if anybody here has fixed the key switch and could give me some tips. My guess is that previous owners fried the switches due to dirty/rusty/unlubed window tracks. Even though I can get by with this condition, it sure would be nice having the switches operable. If the insides of the switches are anything like the 87 door switches, some creative soldering can fix things, but I don't want to break either switch completely. Just getting the window down with the key is better than using the console switch all the time. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
chuck

did you try cleaning the switches first? obvious, yes, overlooked, equally yes. don't wd them, get some real switch cleaner from the parts store. don't be afraid to spray them 4-5 times before you check to see if it works but let the shit dry. lots of brands nurn well.

Reply to
someone

Can you check continuity in the wire bundle at the lower left of the tailgate? I found several broken/pinched wires on my 90. Good luck.

Reply to
ed_herman