4WD with only a pair of tire chains

Gentlemen:

If one has a 4 wheel drive vehicle (Toyota 4Runner in my case) but only has one pair of tire chains, is it best to put it on the front tires or the rear tires?

I would like to hear someone's thoughts and opinions on this.

My intuition says to put them on the front tires for better steering performance but that might cause the vehicle to fish-tail a lot around curves.

Regards to all.

Reply to
Anthony Maw

I'd put the chains on the rear. If you are going to lose control, better to plow straight ahead than to have the rear end swing around and possibly casue your vehicle to turn over. Steering is both a front and rear wheel thing.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Rear is better, front tends to stress the front end too much. But people do it both ways. Really depends on how bad the conditions are and what you intend to do. But for street driving, you'll have better control with them on the rear, and a bit of extra weight in the back.

Reply to
Dan G

Anthony Maw schrieb:

Rear. Same situation here.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

ISTR that even in four-wheel drive mode, the majority of the engine's power is still being applied to the rear wheels. If that's the case, it would seem that the better course would be to put them on the rear wheels to minimize slipping and maximize power transfer. I'm not sure that they'd help all that much with the steering, especially if the rear wheels are freer to slip. In conditions bad enough to warrant chains I think you'd get a *lot* of fish-tailing behavior, even on a straight, as the rear wheels applied different amounts of power at any given moment, which could negate your steering improvement anyway.

If they weren't such a pain, I'd say find a parking lot and try it both ways. :)

Dreamer

I would think that the rear tires would be the ones to chain. Since chains create traction for driving AND braking, putting them on the front might cause the ass end to swing around during heavy braking or steep descents.

On the other hand steering might be improved on steep ascents by putting them on the front...

"A good question always has more than one good answer"

Cheers,

Richard.

My 1996 Tacoma owners manual states to put chains on the back only, and never on the front tires.

Reply to
Roxy

The front works better. Especially if you are going to be off road. You have most of your braking on the front, and the chains add a bit of stability when stopping and turning. Truthfully, I can't imagine why you would want chanis unless you are driving on ice. I live at 5500', and except for screwing around off road I've never even considered chains. dave If you are on ice, consider getting cables. They aren't as rough to drive on.

Reply to
Dave

Check what manual or Toyota sez re chains.

2002 Highlander manual says "Install chains on the front tires as tightly as possible. Do not put chains on the rear tires".

So, I am sure there is something in your manual covering it.

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:29:35 GMT, Raneman found these unused words floating about:

Could that be because the Highlander is a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE?

The LAW says that you put the chains or cables on the MAIN driving wheels. EG for a Tacoma, it's the REAR wheels. If you really want good 4x4 in class

3 or 4 conditions - do all four.
Reply to
J. A. Mc.

or 4 conditions - do all four.

Highlander AWD is 4 wheel drive....

with advice to poster to check their manual...should take care of it.

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman