5VZ-FE timing belt

The dealer said that I should replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles. I looked at the factory service manual and their procedure looks like they assume you are dismantling the entire engine. They say you need to remove all the external belts, the A/C compressor, the PS pump, the fan, the dipstick, timing belt cover, fan bracket, crankshaft pulley, timing belt tensioner, camshaft timing pulley, and lots of other stuff. From the price they charge (about 2 1/2 hours), I assume they don't need to remove that much. Can anyone tell me how much needs to come off and how often the belt should be changed.?

Thanks

Reply to
RichK

Your owner's manual will tell you how often. The belt on the 4.7 V8 only needs to be changed every 90,000. Yes, pretty much the entire front comes off... 2.5 hours sounds a little light. 6 is probably more like it. If they're quoting 2.5, make sure that they are replacing the TIMING belt and not the serpentine belt, and ask for the old parts.

While they're in there, it is a very good idea to replace the water pump.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

That sounds about right for things to take off, however, you wouldn't completely remove the compressor and PS pump, just unbolt them and set them to the side. I'd recommend pulling the radiator to give you more working room. I got so I could change a timing belt and water pump in a 3VZE in about 4 hrs or so w/o air or a garage, but my first time was an all day affair. I'm sure a mechanic doing it all the time could do it in 2.5 hrs. You should be able to go 90K on that engine before a change. 60K is overkill, but consult your owner's manual to be sure.

Reply to
slikrikd

Reply to
RichK

I just had the water pump and timing belt replaced on my Tacoma 3.4L V6. It took the dealer about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Reply to
BBTACO

Reply to
Captain Henk