83 Strange problem starting

83 truck, 22r. Spent 12 hours saturday taking the engine apart (again) to make sure the timing chain was on right, (forgot to clamp down the water-pump hose so I spilled antifreeze all over the alternator before I found the leak). Put everything back together, started it up and it ran great. I checked the timing (but forgot to take the vac. advance tubes off the distr.) and it was at the 8deg BTDC and I could only retard it more so I figured I must be off by a tooth. Turned it off, rotated the distr. gear one tooth counterclockwise, put it all back together, started up great again, checked the timing and it was dead on. Let it warm up while I got cleaned up and when I came back down it was still running like a champ--only one problem, the "charge" light stayed on the whole time it was running. I turned it off just to check and that's the last time it started. I tried to start it again and it just turned over super slow like the batter was dead. We tried to jump it but it still wouldn't start. (letting it build up some charge it would turn over faster, but never catch). I pulled the distr. back out and put it back to where I think it was before (when the timing light showed it at 8deg BTDC) and tried to start it, but it acted like the battery was too dead. Came out this morning once it had a chance to cool down, tried to start it, turned over and over but wouldn't catch. Turned it off and back on, and I get turn turn turn turn tuuuuuurn tuuuuuurn tuuuurn (like the batt's dead) then turn turn turn turn tuuuuuurn tuuuuuurn tuuuuurn. I'm completely stumped and it's been a month now trying to get this fixed, PLEASE HELP! ANY suggestions appreciated.

f-o-w-i-e-at-h-o-t-m-a-i-l-d-o-t-c-o-m

Reply to
Spencer Fowers