85 22r possible coolant leak spots?

I have a 22r in a 85 truck. Noticed that the coolant level was dropping, then when it got really hard to turn over one morning,with lotsa white smoke. Pulled the head, looked at the head gasket, didn't see any obvious signs of coolant leak . So I bought another head gasket , put in on and the leak was worse than before. Pulled through the crank and looked down all the bores-no signs of a crack and the cross hatch was still there with no discernable ridge at the top. Deciced that the cursory look at the head didn't do the job (big surprise,huh?) and took it to be pressure tested. The guy said it checked out fine. He did note some corrosion around some chambers and wanted to weld up those spots and surface it. While I was waiting for the inspection on the head, I went online and found out about the timing case problems. Aha!! I thought....The tensioner is intact and shows no signs of damage and no chain hits on the sides of the case (looked through the top of the block with a good light and a mirror on a stick). What are the other possible avenues to get water to stay where it belongs- I'm tired of the chocolate milkshake look coming out of the oil pan ... Thanks in advance Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Hi I have a 22R-E in my 85 celica and had a similar problem found the leak after 3 head gaket's and getting full head service . It was a pin hole in the TIMING COVER caused by the blade's of the water pump slowly wearing away the aluminium hope this help's

steve

Reply to
Steve