86 pickup Turbocharger replacement with a Supercharger

Hey! I have an 86 Turbo Pickup here with about 300k miles on it. It is a California car with no rust and has never been in a wreck. I am the original owner. Paint is a metallic gloss that has just recently lost some clear coat. I just like this 4x4 enough to keep it another 10 years or so. Been on the Rubicon from both ends too many times to mention. Too many modifications to speak of here too! I'm thinking of dumping in a Supercharger in it instead of the turbo rebuild. Would be great to get rid of all that heat in the engine compartment! Anybody here done anything like this? Bill Brown

Reply to
William Brown

It would probably be a major prodject to replace the turbo with a blower. The ECM is calibrated for the factory turbo. I doubt it would work very well ( if at all ) with a blower. If you don't get the fuel and ignition curves right on a forced induction engine you are looking at some major engine damage.

Reply to
Mike

Hey Mike! Got that covered with an LC Engineering Supercharger Kit and an SDS Injection Kit.

Maybe i'm asking the wrong question.

Anybody here ever dumped a Supercharger in a 22RE engine?

Anybody here ever dump a Supercharger in any normally aspirated (carb of EFI) engine and wish to share your results? I really would like to communicate with anyone who has done anything like this. Just lookin for a solution for the short engine life associated with all the heat in the engine compartment from the turbocharger. Bill

Reply to
William Brown

That's great. That would definately make it easier.

I don't have any experience in that respect. Sound like a fun project though. If you do go through with it let us know how it runs.

Reply to
Mike

Maybe i'm asking the wrong question.

Anybody here ever dumped a Supercharger in a 22RE engine?

After much investigation i've decided to forgo the Supercharger kit and stay with the turbo. Seems like it's almost impossible to get an LCS Supercharger Kit to pass California emissions test. I've got a TEC bolt in replacement kit here for the Toyota CT-20 junk. It's a Garrett T-3 with all the adapters, lines and even a downpipe. I plan to do everything i can think of to get rid of heat in the engine compartment. Mount a larger oil cooler above the lower oil pan shield. Relocate the battery and install a side mount intercooler (supra style) in it's place while opening the closed fins on the grill in that area and direct fresh air to the cooler with a dam. Even install a 4 row aluminum radiator in place of the 3 row stock copper radiator.

Anybody have any other ideas to help keep it cool?

Eventually i'd like to play with an SDS Engine Management Kit with all the mods i plan to do. Anybody here do anything similar to this? Bill

Reply to
William Brown

with the turbo.

California emissions test.

Garrett T-3 with all

to get rid of heat

shield. Relocate the

opening the closed fins

install a 4 row aluminum

I'd try to find a 4-row Copper radiator, they tend to last a whole lot longer, and are much easier to repair. The stupid Aluminum ones tend to have the crimped-on plastic tanks, and are disposable - often. Reducing weight is less important than function and reliability.

Does the Garrett have the water-cooled center section?

I'd think the hot ticket would be to find a small 12V gear pump and build a totally separate oiling system for the Turbo bearings - small

1 or 2 liter reservoir, small electric oil pump, small cooler in the grille (Power Steering size), micron oil filter, return to tank.

Turbo oil pressure (entering) and temperature (leaving) gauges. Low oil tank level micro float-switch, oil pressure idiot light sender, common "TURBO" idiot light for both.

You can pick an oil that is specific to the turbo needs, probably a lighter weight Mobil1 Synthetic than you'd want to run in the engine. Ask the folks at Garrett what oil they would use if engine oiling compatibility wasn't an issue. And pre-lubing and post-lubing would be drop-dead simple - turn the key on and pause for the pre-lube, with a cool-down timer for the oil pump.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hello_

Good point - I agree!

Yes it does - it's almost a drop in replacement except for the large diameter downpipe.

Good idea - i'm going to have to look into this. I really like the option of running different oil thru the turbo bearings.

Again nice - i could use my turbo timer for this. Thanks for the ideas. Bill

Reply to
William Brown