86 toy 4x4 overheating problem HELP!

lost the water pump on my 22re didnt let it get too hot before i shut her down ....changed water pump and thermostat checked everything else out ...no oil where oil shouldnt be ..no antifreeze where it shouldnt be...idled out for about an hour no leaks and no overheating soon as i put it under a load (driving up a long hill) it gets hot...is there anything it could be besides a blown head gasket???? thanks Charlie

Reply to
Charlie DeLorme

Original radiator? Any buidup of corrosion, sludge? Bits from the waterpump? All the tubes clean and circulating fluid? Look for reduced flow accross the radiator for reduced cooling capacity if the pump is pumping ok.

Fan work>mp on my 22re didnt let it get too hot before i shut her

Reply to
M. Cantera

YEs radiator is the thing to check as they are usually getting plugged internally by that age and need more than a simple flush to cure.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

CHeck if the hoses are colapsing

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Try replacing your radiator. I just tried chasing an overheating problem all over my '86. Finally I just bought a new radiator and suddenly the engine runs cool and efficient.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I had the same problem with my `86 4x4 with the 22R. I had replaced the thermostat, fan clutch water pump and had the radiator rodded. It ran fine during the winter months then seriously overheated this summer. I bought a new radiator from NAPA and the truck runs fine.

Reply to
Bud Ivey

"Rodding out" a radiator is nothing more than a waste of money.... its cheaper just to replace it.

Reply to
Noon-Air