87 hilux pickup 4x4, leaking front ball joint

Greetings all forum folks

87 hilux pickup 4x4

im currently restoring my lovely but very rusty truck. it has been stood for several months but still starts up fine. gotta love them toyotas.

my problem is, i seem to have some sort of leak front the front lefthand ball joint, my initial thoughts were the disc caliper or hose, but ive checked and double checked and found no leaks. the brake fluid level however is way below in minimum (the truck is stood so no real drama there). its a very slow leak but its there all the same. my next thoughts were possibly seals in the front diff/drive axle's?

any ideas to what it might be? how bad a job is it, if it is the drive seals?

thanks

tinpotlocal

Reply to
TinPotLocal

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate, particularly over a period of just several months. So a very low brake fluid level *IS* a real drama as it signifies either a leak in your brake system, or pads that are worn beyond their service life. Either way it's a dangerous situation. If your axel seal is leaking, at the very worst, you can't go. If your brakes fail, at the very worst, you can't stop. Which do you think is the more serious condition?

Solve your brake problem first (and see if that also stops your leak). Then worry about other mechanical problems.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver